Melbourne tram route 79
|North Richmond – St Kilda Beach|
|System||Melbourne tramway network|
|End||St Kilda Beach|
|Length||7.5 km (4.7 mi)|
|Zone(s)||Zone 1 for the entire route|
|Timetable||Route 79 timetable|
|Map||Route 79 map|
Operated after 19:00 as an extended version of route 78, it was one of the few Melbourne tram routes that did not pass through the CBD. Like most tram routes in Melbourne, it was entirely within Metlink ticketing Zone 1. This route was run from the Glenhuntly Tram Depot by Z or A class trams.
Before January 2009 route 79 North Richmond to St Kilda Beach operated Monday to Friday from 18:15, Saturdays from 13:10, and all day Sundays and public holidays. The route was discontinued on 27 July 2014 as part of a wider timetable change to the Yarra Trams network, replaced by a full-time route 78 service.
There were 32 stops on route 79, which are numbered in decreasing order from Richmond.
Starts at Victoria Street Terminus, North Richmond, then runs via:
- Church Street (stops 65-53)
- Chapel Street (stop 52-37)
- Toorak Road, tram route 8 (stop 50)
- Jam Factory (stop 48)
- Commercial Road, Prahran Market tram route 72 (stop 47)
- Prahran Town Hall (stop 46)
- High Street, Swinburne University, tram route 6 (stop 45)
- Windsor Station (stop 43)
- Dandenong Road, Astor Theatre, tram routes 5 and 64 (stop 42)
- tram routes 3 and 16 (stop 37)
- Carlisle Street (stop 36-32)
- "Route 78/79", Yarra Trams, retrieved 9 November 2013
- Hugh Waldron (2009-10-16). "History of Melbourne tram route numbers (1950-2009)". Yarra Trams. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Capacity boost for tram passengers". Yarra Trams. 9 July 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Melbourne tram route 79.|