May 5, 1955 |
Western Springs, Illinois, U.S.
Culea is best known for playing Amy Amanda Allen in the 1980s hit TV series The A-Team. Her role was as a newspaper reporter who worked with the team for the first season and half of the second season.
Introduced in the feature-length pilot episode "Mexican Slayride", her character was presented as feisty. However, Culea soon started to complain that her character had very little to do. Reportedly, star George Peppard did not like a female lead being part of the show, and made his feelings quite clear. Culea also pushed for her character to be involved in the team's fights, something which the producers resisted.
Culea was ultimately dropped from the series in 1983, with her final appearance being in Season 2 Episode 12, "The White Ballot", although her character continued to be mentioned by the team during the show shortly thereafter. However, she could still be glimpsed very briefly on one of the scenes on the show's opening theme. This scene was used for the show's entire run. 
Other television roles
Culea has acted in a number of other TV roles, mainly during the 1980s and 1990s.
Shortly after leaving The A-Team Culea gained a leading role as Terry Randolph in the short-lived series Glitter. Her other most substantial role was playing the recurring character Paula Vertosick on Knots Landing for two seasons, from 1988 to 1990.
She also made appearances on many other notable TV shows including Family Ties, St. Elsewhere, The X-Files, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Brotherly Love, Beverly Hills, 90210, and Murder, She Wrote.
- The X-Files ... Karin Berquist (episode, "Alpha", 1999)
- Target Earth (1998) (TV) ... Allison, Emmett's Gang
- C-16: FBI (2 episodes, 1997)
- Buried Secrets (1996) (TV) ... Laura Vellum
- Brotherly Love ... Claire Roman (1995)
- Down, Out & Dangerous (1995) (TV) ... CeCe Dryer
- Moment of Truth: Murder or Memory? (1994) (TV)
- Wagons East (1994) ... Constance Taylor
- Through the Eyes of a Killer (1992) (TV) ... Alison Rivers
- Murder, She Wrote ... Nicole Gary ... (1990–1992)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation ... Soren (1992)
- Jake and the Fatman ... Ellen Webster (1991)
- Beverly Hills, 90210 ... Dr. Natalie Donner (1991)
- Knots Landing ... Paula Vertosick (1988–1990)
- St. Elsewhere ... McPhail (1986–1987)
- Family Ties ... Rebecca Ryan (1986)
- Dear Penelope and Peter (1986) (TV) ... Judy Berlin
- Glitter ... Terry Randolph (1984–1985)
- Hotel ... Adrianna Dupre... (1984)
- The A-Team ... Amy Allen... (24 episodes, 1983)
- Fantasy Island (TV) ... Shelley James (1983)
- The Rules of Marriage (1982) (TV) ... Holly Stone
- Dear Teacher (1981) (TV) ... Annie Cooper
- Dangaard, Colin (1983) "Melinda Culea: The Struggle Goes on", Milwaukee Journal, 4 September 1983
- Jet, vol 64, 1983, p. 55
- McNeil, Alex (1985) Total Television: A Comprehensive Guide to Programming from 1948 to the Present, Penguin Books Australia, ISBN 978-0-14-007377-5, p. 10
- Jeff Jarvis (January 1984). "The A-Team Draws Fire". People Magazine 21 (4). Retrieved 16 November 2011.
- "'A-Team's' Disgruntled Melinda Culea Will Be Replaced", Philadelphia Enquirer, October 18, 1983
- "The A-Team: Season Two". DVD Box Set (Universal Studios). Film: 1983/1984; Packaging: 2005. Check date values in:
- Roush, Matt (1992) "`Star Trek' focuses on sexuality", USA Today, Match 18, 1992
- "Joey Lawrence's New Show a Family Affair", Chicago Tribune, August 29, 1995
- Wilmington, Michael (1994) "Pitiful `Wagons East!' is a Sorry Farewell For John Candy", Chicago Tribune, August 26, 1994