As Peep-Bo in The Mikado, 1960.
|Born||Melinda Marie Marx
August 14, 1946
Life and work
Melinda Marx appeared frequently on television with her father. She was a contestant on his quiz show You Bet Your Life at least three times: Her first appearance was when she was 8 yrs-old (and a surprise contestant who didn't play the game) with boxer, Mickey Walker. On this same episode Melinda and dad, Groucho sang "There Is Beauty in the Bellow of the Blast" from "The Mikado" by Gilbert and Sullivan. On a later episode she and Groucho teamed up with Edgar Bergen and his then 11-year-old daughter, Candice Bergen to win $1,000 for the Girl Scouts of the USA.; She appeared a third time in 1961 episode with singer/actor Bobby Van as a contestant and did a number with him on stage. They won $2000. Six years later, father and daughter shared a "Father's Day" installment of The Dating Game.
She acted alongside her father in a television production of The Mikado (1960) on the The Bell Telephone Hour and the film The Story of Mankind (1957).
After a few more roles in films, including an uncredited appearance in the movie Bye, Bye Birdie (1963), and The Violent Ones, Melinda retired from acting in 1972. A musician, mostly playing the mandolin, she was in a Gloriana Opera Company (Mendocino County, CA) production of Bye, Bye Birdie, in 1996, alternately playing bass and guitar. She is one of their regular ensemble.
In addition to acting, Melinda had a brief career as a recording artist in 1965, appearing on shows such as Shivaree, Shindig! and The Hollywood Palace, to promote her singles "The East Side of Town" and "What?".
- Groucho's daughter Melinda Marx and her very brief singing career. March 2, 2008
- Melinda Marx: Photo by Photographer Robert Shannon - photo.net
- [You Bet Your Life episode originally aired 1954, as seen on compilation Season 1, Episode 4, "The Secret Word is Smile" on Hulu Plus 11/7/2012]
- You Tube post: "Groucho & Melinda Marx - Audio Re-sync - There is Beauty in the Bellow of the Blast" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt9a4Dt8U9g. Retrieved 11/7/2012
- You Bet Your Life Season 7 Episode #34 May 15, 1958
- Melinda and Groucho Marx on The Dating Game on YouTube (Jun 17, 1967)
- Archival Television Audio - #864: BELL TELEPHONE HOUR: THE MIKADO, THE
1960-04-29, WNBC 52 min. Groucho Marx, Gilbert & Sullivan, Helen Traubel, Dennis King, Stanley Holloway, Melinda Marx
Groucho Marx stars in the TV adaptation of the Gilbert and Sullivan operetta "The Mikado." Other performers include Helen Traubel, Dennis King, Stanley Holloway and Groucho's daughter Melinda Marx. No opening or closing credits are recorded on this tape, however, the play is complete.
- Melinda Marx .... Teenager The Cast - Bye Bye Birdie: From Stage to Screen
- Shivaree episodes 1 - 12 By TomAlger, Published: November 5, 2005, TV.com
- Episode Guide > Season 1, Episode 45 - The Byrds / Kingsmen / Micki Lynn / Jody Miller / Dave Berry, TV.com
- Episode Guide > Season 2, Episode 28 - Host: Groucho Marx / Margaret Dumont, TV.com
- Melinda Marx (Groucho's daughter) - East Side of Town on YouTube
- Melinda Marx - Catch The Wind- 123Video
- Melinda Marx - Is That What I Get for Loving You (1965) on YouTube
- Melinda Marx -What? on YouTube
- Biography for Sahn Berti at IMdb
- "Biography for Jade Marx-Berti". Internet Movie Data Base. Retrieved Oct 16, 2009.