||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009)|
|Birth name||Melinda-Jane Bean|
|Born||7 October 1971|
|Labels||Compass Bros, Be Music, Festival Records, Universal Music|
Melinda Schneider (born 7 October 1971) is an Australian country music performer and the daughter of yodeler Mary Schneider. Schneider performed with her mother on the album The Magic of Yodeling at the age of eight. She studied dance as a child and made her acting debut on the popular Australian drama A Country Practice when aged thirteen. Schneider also sang the theme music for the TV series Something in the Air. Schneider attended St Joseph's Kogarah (now known as Bethany College) for her high school years.
In 2006, Schneider was invited by Deborah Conway to take part in the Broad Festival project, with three other Australian female artists, they performed their own and each other's songs. With Schneider and Conway were Mia Dyson, Kate Miller-Heidke and Ella Hooper.
Schneider is a multi-Golden Guitar winner at the Country Music Awards of Australia in Tamworth, winning her sixth with Paul Kelly for 'Vocal Collaboration of the Year' for their duet "Still Here" in 2009. She was nominated in the same category at the 2010 awards for "Courageous" with the Australian Girls Choir.
Schneider starred in her own theatre show Doris: So Much More Than The Girl Next Door, written by Schneider and David Mitchell. The show told the story of Doris Day's life and opened in May 2011 at the Twelfth Night Theatre in Brisbane before moving to Her Majesty's Theatre in Melbourne, onto the Regal Theatre in Perth and then to the Lyric Theatre, Sydney.
- My Oxygen (21 July 2000, Compass Bros D 24178)
- Happy Tears (29 July 2002, Compass Bros)
- The Kitchen Table Tapes (EP, 27 October 2003, Compass Bros 011CDCB)
- Family Tree (14 May 2004)
- Stronger (2006, Compass Bros)
- Be Yourself (2008, Be Music, CDR119)
- Hits & Rarities (25 March 2008, compilation)
- Melinda Does Doris (2010) No. 24 AUS
- Life Begins At 40 - The Ultimate Collection (2011)
Note: In 1994, Melinda featured on the Australian dance group Audio Murphy, Inc.'s single "Tighten Up Your Pants (Scotland Medley)" (AUS#39)
- Elliott, Tim (19 August 2008). "Lady's Night at the Beckoning Microphone". The Sydney Morning Herald (Fairfax Media). Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "Broad 2006". Broad Festival. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "Performer – Melinda Schneider". Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC). 1 March 2009. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- "CMAA Country Music Awards finalists announced". Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC). 13 November 2009. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- Rao, Shoba (26 July 2010). "Eliminated singer Melinda Schneider talks about sex and chemistry on Dancing With The Stars". The Daily Telegraph (Australia) (News Corporation). Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- "Melinda Schneider – Melinda Does Doris". Australian charts portal. Hung Medien. Retrieved 9 August 2010.
- Doris – so much more than the girl next door, Stage Whispers
- Melinda Schneider, Official website
- Performer - Melinda Schneider, Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- 2000′s, Country Music Association of Australia (list of winners of the Golden Guitar Awards in the 2000s decade, including Melinda Schneider's awards in 2000, 2003, 2005 x2, 2008, 2009)
- A glittering new line-up for this year's Dancing With The Stars, Yahoo!7
- Ben Sorensen talks to Melinda Schneider, Real Country
- Melinda Schneider on Ben Sorensen's Real Country 2011, YouTube (Ben Sorensen's Real Country interview with Melinda Schneider)