|Grade 1 race|
|Distance||2m 4f (4,023 metres)|
|Qualification||Five-years-old and up|
|Weight||11 st 10 lb
7 lb for mares
The Melling Chase is a Grade 1 National Hunt chase in Great Britain which is open to horses aged five years or older. It is run at Aintree over a distance of about 2 miles and 4 furlongs (4,023 metres), and during its running there are sixteen fences to be jumped. The race is scheduled to take place each year in early April.
The event is named after Melling, a nearby village which is made famous by Melling Road, a public road which crosses the racecourse. It was established in 1991, and it has held Grade 1 status throughout its history. The race is currently staged on the second day of the three-day Grand National meeting.
Most successful horse (2 wins):
- Viking Flagship – 1995, 1996
- Direct Route – 1999, 2000
- Native Upmanship – 2002, 2003
- Moscow Flyer – 2004, 2005
- Voy Por Ustedes – 2008, 2009
Leading jockey (4 wins):
- Barry Geraghty -Moscow Flyer (2004, 2005), Finian's Rainbow (2012), Sprinter Sacre (2013)
Leading trainer (3 wins):
- Nicky Henderson -Remittance Man (1992), Finian's Rainbow (2012), Sprinter Sacre (2013)
- Racing Post:
- aintree.co.uk – 2010 John Smith's Grand National Media Guide.
- pedigreequery.com – Melling Chase – Aintree.
- Ladbrokes Pocket Companion 1992/93. Aesculus Press. 1992. p. 60. ISBN 1-871093-91-0.
- YouTube Race Video https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfn5x2SD03q64L4VPRDkxGk4qEEYUVBM2