Melting Pot (Booker T album)
|Studio album by Booker T. & the M.G.'s|
|Genre||R&B, instrumental rock|
|Producer||Booker T. & the M.G.'s|
|Booker T. & the M.G.'s chronology|
Melting Pot is a 1971 studio album recorded by Booker T. & the M.G.'s for Stax Records. It is the last album to feature the group's classic lineup of Jones, Cropper, Dunn, and Jackson, and featured longer jam-oriented songs for the first time on an MG's album.
By 1970, band leader Booker T. Jones had become estranged from Stax, as he protested the changing atmosphere under the leadership of executive Al Bell. Jones left Memphis, Tennessee, where Stax was headquartered, and moved to California. Guitarist Steve Cropper had gone weary of the new Stax atmosphere as well, and opened his own studio in Memphis, spending less and less time at the Stax studio. Melting Pot was recorded in New York City, between MG's gigs, as Jones refused to record in Memphis and wanted the band to create a different sound for the new album.
The album's title track was edited down to single release, and issued by Stax as a 45 in spring 1971. "Melting Pot" peaked at number 45 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States, and at number 16 on the Billboard Black Singles chart.
The review in Rolling Stone magazine was very positive, concluding in its final paragraph:
"Altogether, as an album, it works really well, with the group's customary taste and precision balanced against a new looseness and a return to earlier, funky playing patterns. That's more than enough to make it the best Booker T. album in some time, the Memphis Gas of the Year, and a Major Rock Event for everyone."
- "Melting Pot" - 8:15
- "Back Home" - 4:40
- "Chicken Pox" - 3:26
- "Fuquawi" - 3:40
- "Kinda Easy Like" - 8:43
- "Hi Ride" - 2:36
- "L.A. Jazz Song" - 4:18
- "Sunny Monday" - 4:35
- Booker T. Jones - keyboards
- Steve Cropper - guitar
- Donald "Duck" Dunn - bass
- Al Jackson, Jr. - drums
- Additional personnel
- The Pepper Singers - background vocals
- Recording engineers - Ron Capone, Gordon Rudd, Rik Pekkonen, Shelly Yakus, Jay Messina, Steve Cropper
- Remix engineer - Steve Cropper
- Cover photographer - George Rodriguez
- Art director - The Graffiteria/Stan Hochstadt
- Art supervisor - Herb Kole, Larry Shaw
- Bowman, Rob (1997). Soulsville U.S.A.: The Story of Stax Records. New York: Schirmer Trade. p. 216-219. ISBN 0-8256-7284-8
- Melting Pot (Booker T album) at AllMusic
- "Booker T. & the MGs US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-06-15.
- "Booker T. & the MGs US singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-06-15.
- "Big Daddy Kane's Another Victory sample of Booker T. & the M.G.'s's Melting Pot". WhoSampled. Retrieved 2012-03-01.
- "Showbiz & A.G.'s Silence of the Lambs sample of Booker T. & the M.G.'s's Chicken Pox". WhoSampled. Retrieved 2012-03-01.