Melville Y. Stewart
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2009)|
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (February 2011)|
Stewart has a B.A. from Gordon College, (Wenham, Massachusetts), an M. Div. from Westminster Theological Seminary, (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), an S.T.M. from Andover Newton Theological School, (Newton Centre, Massachusetts), an M.A. from the University of Connecticut, (Storrs, Connecticut), a Ph.D. from the University of Minnesota, (Minneapolis, Minnesota) and he did Postdoctoral work at Oxford University, (Oxford, England) in 1986.
Stewart's main areas of interest are philosophy of religion, science and religion, and Chinese philosophy. He taught at Bethel University from 1972 to 1999, and chaired the department from 1985 to 1992. He received the Excellence in Scholarship Award in 1996, and in 1999 became Emeritus Professor of Philosophy. From 2000 to 2003 he served as Adjunct Professor at the University of St. Thomas. Outside the U.S. he taught a year in the Department of Philosophy at Saint Petersburg State University from 1992 to 1993, and was Adjunct Professor at St. Petersburg Christian College during the spring term of 2003. He has taught 13 terms at various Universities in China between 1996 and 2013.
Stewart has read papers at 32 universities outside the U.S. including 14 in China, 7 in Russia, Vilnius University, Latvian Academy of Science, University of Minsk, University of Edinburgh, Tokyo Christian University, University of Hong Kong, Oxford University, and the University of London. His most recent Science and Religion Series held at five universities in China: Wuhan University, Fudan University, Shandong University, Peking University, and Tsinghua University, led to a multi-volume work in two editions: a 5-volume Chinese edition,《科学与宗教的对话》("Science and Religion in Dialogue"), published by Peking University Press, Beijing (Volumes I, III, IV and V) and Fudan University Press (Volume II)), and an English 2-volume edition, "Science and Religion in Dialogue" published by Wiley-Blackwell of Oxford.
In the US Stewart gave a public lecture at Texas A&M University on "Confucianism and Christianity," and read a paper at the Confucius Institute Academic Symposium, "Elements of Ancient Chinese Monotheism and the Ancient Hebrew Tradition," April, 2009.
In 2010, he team-taught a Seminar at Peking University, taught a course "Philosophy of Religion" at Beijing Normal University, and taught another course, "Philosophy of Mind" at Beijing University of Chemical Technology. In 2011, he taught a theological module at the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary in Novosaratovka, Russia. In 2012 and 2013, he taught condensed courses at Shandong University in Jinan, and Beijing Normal University in Beijing.
- The Greater-Good Defence, An Essay on the Rationality of Faith, author, London:Macmillan//New York: St. Martin's, 1993. ISBN # 0-312-08095-6.
- Проблемы Христианской Философии (Problems in Christian Philosophy), co-editor with Dan Clendenin, Moscow: Progress Academy Press, 1994. ISBN # 5-85864-071-0.
- Philosophy of Religion, An Anthology of Contemporary Views, editor, in the Jones and Bartlett Series in Philosophy, second printing, Wadsworth Press, 1996 《当代西方宗教哲学》, Chinese Edition, Peking University Press, the Waiming Translation Library, 2001, English, J & B, ISBN # 0-534-54263-8, Wadsworth, ISBN # 0-86720-512-1, Chinese, ISBN # 7-301-04731-2.
- 《东西方宗教伦理及其他》(East & West Religious Ethics and Other Essays), co-editor with Zhang Zhigang, Beijing: Central Compilation and Translation Press, 1997. ISBN # 7-80109-198-1/B 10.
- The Symposium of Chinese-American Philosophy and Religious Studies: Volume 1, East & West Philosophy of Religion, co-editor with Zhang Zhigang, Bethesda: International Scholars Publications, 1998. ISBN # 1-57309-260.
- 《欧美哲学与宗教讲演录》(Lectures on European and American Philosophy and Religion), co-editor with Zhao Dunhua, Beijing: Peking University Press, 1998. ISBN # 7-301-03657-4.
- Искупление (The Atonement), co-editor with Natalia Pecherskaya, St. Petersburg: St. Petersburg School of Religion and Philosophy Publishers, 1999. ISBN # 5-900291-14-6.
- 《科学与宗教的对话》(A Dialogue Between Science and Religion), co-editor with Zhou Jianzhang and Kelly James Clark, Xiamen: Xiamen University Press, 2000. ISBN # 7-5615-1989-3/B-76.
- The Trinity: East/West Dialogue, Dordrecht: Kluwer, 2003, editor. ISBN # 1-4020-1728-6. Пресвятая Троица, Russian edition, Alexander Kierlezhev editor, no ISBN #.
- 《跨宗教对话:中国与西方》(Interfaith Dialogue: East and West), co-editor with Fu Youde and Kelly James Clark, Beijing: Social Science Publishers, 2004. ISBN # 7-5004-4201-7/B.
- Philosophy of Religion, Beijing: co-editor with Xing Taotao, Beijing: Peking University Press, 2005. ISBN # 7-301-09572-4/B-0333.
- 《科学与宗教的对话》(Science and Religion in Dialogue), co-editor with Hao Changchi, Beijing: Peking University Press, 2007. ISBN # 978-7-301-12811-4.
- 《科学与宗教：二十一 世纪时对话》(Science and Religion: 21st Century Dialogue), co-editor with Xu Yingjin, Shanghai: Fudan University Press, 2008. ISBN # 978-7-309-06310-3.
- Science and Religion in Dialogue, editor, Volume One, Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, 2009. ISBN # 978-1-4051-8921-7.
- Science and Religion in Dialogue, editor, Volume Two, Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, 2009. ISBN # 978-1-4051-8921-7.
- Dictionary of Western Philosophy, English/Pinyin/Chinese, co-author with Xu Yingjin, Beijing: Peking University Press, 2009. ISBN # 978-7-301-16393-1.
- 《科学与宗教：当前对话》(Science and Religion: Current Dialogue), co-editor with Fu Youde, Beijing: Peking University Press, 2011. ISBN # 978-7-301-12811-4.
- 《科学与宗教：二十一 世纪问题》(Science and Religion: 21st Century Issues), co-editor with Xing Taotao and Xiangdong Xu, Beijing: Peking University Press, 2011.
- 《科学与宗教：当前争论》(Science and Religion: Current Debate), co-editor with Zhu Donghua, Beijing: Peking University Press, 2011.
- "College of Arts & Sciences Catalog: Faculty". Bethel University. Retrieved 8 February 2011.