|• Body||melvisharam municipality|
|Elevation||175.86 m (576.97 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||TN 73|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Ranipet|
|Civic agency||melvisharam municipality|
Melvisharam is a town and suburb of Vellore city in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is 7 kilometres from Ranipet, 5 km from historic town of Arcot and 7 km from Vellore city limit Alamelrangapuram(A.M.Puram).
The Municipality of Melvisharam was constituted in the year 1951 as 1st Grade Town Panchayat and was subsequently upgraded as IIIrd Grade Municipality from 1.10.2005 The town has 21 Municipal wards.
The seasonal river Palar flows on the north side of the town.
Almost whole of the Melvisharam consists of flat terrain. The general slope is towards south east and the small streams that rise in Vellore hills situated in the west eventually fall into Palar river. The topography of Melvisharam town in plain and is situated at an altitude of 175.86 metres above mean sea level. The wind direction is predominant towards south west in the whole of the year. However, during summer it is from south west to north east.
The taluk has fairly healthy climate. The study area has distinctly high temperature in hot months and cold weather is for a short duration.
The climatic seasons are generally classified as follows:
- Cold season from November to January with a mean maximum and minimum temperature of 29 C and 18.4 C respectively.
- Warm season from February to March and from July to October with a mean maximum and minimum temperature of 35 C and 19 C respectively.
- Hot season from April to June with a mean maximum and minimum temperature of 38.5 C and 24 C respectively.
The main maximum temperature during summer normal occurs in the month of May while the minimum temperature in winter occurs in January.
The north –east monsoon gives most of the rains. The average rainfall for a year is found to be 996.76 mm. The maximum rainfall occurs during the month of September and October due to north-east monsoon.
As of the census of India 2001, Melvishram had a population of 36,757 comprising 18,454 males and 18,303 females, making the sex ratio (number of females per thousand males) of the town to 992. A total of 5,510 people were under six years of age and the child sex ratio (number of females per thousand males under six years of age) stood at 988. The town had an average literacy of 73.92%, higher than the national average of 59.5%. A total of 2,910 comprising 9.31% of the population belonged to Scheduled Castes (SC) and 17 comprising 0.05% of the population belonged to Scheduled tribes (ST). There were are total of 6,448 households in the town. As of 2001, Melvishram had a total of 11,063 main workers: 74 cultivators, 172 agricultural labourers, 4,524 in house hold industries and 6,293 other workers. There was a total of 569 marginal workers: 14 marginal cultivators, 12 marginal agricultural labourers, 265 marginal workers in household industries and 278 other marginal workers.
Melvisharam is part of Ranipet Assembly Constituency. Ranipet assembly constituency is part of Arakkonam (Lok Sabha constituency). Puttu Abdur Rahman is the sitting Chairperson of the Municipality from ADMK.
Melvisharam Muslim Educational Society founded in 1918 runs several educational institutions here such as,
- C. Abdul Hakeem College of Engineering & Technology
- C.Abdul Hakeem College of Arts and Science (for Men)
- M.M.E.S Women s Arts & Science College
- Islamiah Higher Secondary School (for Boys & Girls Sepeartely)
- Islamiah Primary School (for Boys & Girls Sepeartely)
- Hakeem Matriculation School
- "Primary census abstract 2001". Directorate of Census Operations – Tamil Nadu. 2001. Retrieved 2012-12-29.
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies". Tamil Nadu. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-08.
- "Management at CAHCET". CAHCET.