Members of the 24th Seanad
This is a list of the members of the 24th Seanad Éireann, the upper house of the Oireachtas (legislature) of Ireland. These Senators were elected on 27 April 2011 after postal voting closed. The Taoiseach's nominees were announced on 20 May 2011. The Seanad election took place 60 days after the 2011 general election for the Dáil. The 24th Seanad first met at Leinster House on 25 May 2011. Paddy Burke was elected as the new Cathaoirleach of the Seanad.
Composition of the 24th Seanad
The following table shows the composition by party when the 24th Seanad first met on 25 May 2011.
|Administrative Panel||Agricultural Panel||Cultural and Educational Panel||Industrial and Commercial Panel||Labour Panel||National University of Ireland||University of Dublin||Nominated by the Taoiseach||Total|
Effect of changes
|May 2011||Oct. 2014[na 1]|
- October 2014 column refers to the state of parties after the election of Gerard Craughwell
This is a graphical comparison of current party strengths in the 24th Seanad.
- Note: This is not the official seating plan.
List of senators
- Note: The entries for Senators who were elected or appointed to fill vacancies are shown in italics
- De Bréadún, Deaglán (8 February 2011). "Ó Cuív announces details of what may be final Seanad election". The Irish Times.
- Elaine Edwards (20 May 2011). "McAleese appointed to Seanad". Irish Times. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- Under the terms of the Constitution of Ireland, a general election for Seanad Éireann must take place within 90 days of the dissolution of Dáil Éireann by the President.
- "New Seanad holds first meeting". Irish Times. 24 May 2011. Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- "Paddy Burke elected as Seanad Cathaoirleach". RTÉ News. 25 May 2011.
- "Resignation of Member". 4 June 2014.
- "Gerard Craughwell wins Seanad by-election". RTÉ News. 10 October 2014. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Former Olympic athlete Eamonn Coghlan joins Fine Gael". TheJournal.ie. 7 February 2012. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- "Martin McAleese to resign from Seanad". RTÉ News. 1 February 2013.
- "Enda Kenny nominates Hildegarde Naughton to Seanad". RTÉ News. 19 July 2013.
- "Seanad passes abortion legislation second stage". RTÉ News. 16 July 2013.
- "24th Seanad". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- How the Seanad is elected – Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government
- Seanad Éireann General Election count 2011
- "Senators elected to the new Seanad". RTÉ News. 29 April 2011.