List of members of the European Parliament for the United Kingdom, 2004–09
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Members of the European Parliament for the United Kingdom 2004–2009)
|Members of the
for the United Kingdom
See European Parliament Election, 2004 (UK) for a list ordered by constituency.
This table can be sorted by constituency, party or party group: click the symbol at the top of the appropriate column.
|Name||Region||Party||Date||Reason for departure|
|Chris Huhne||South East England||LibDem||11 May 2005||Resigned on election to the House of Commons|
|Theresa Villiers||London||Conservative||11 May 2005||Resigned on election to the House of Commons|
|Phillip Whitehead||East Midlands||Labour||31 December 2005||Deceased|
|Terry Wynn||North West England||Labour||27 August 2006||Resigned after reaching 60th birthday|
|Graham Booth||South West England||UKIP||1 October 2008||Retired|
- Jim Allister was elected as a member of the Democratic Unionist Party, but resigned the party whip on 27 March 2007 in protest over the party's decision to form a power-sharing executive in the Northern Ireland Assembly with Sinn Féin.
- Sharon Bowles replaced Chris Huhne on 12 May 2005.
- Daniel Hannan was expelled from the EPP-ED group on 19 February 2008.
- Roger Helmer had the Conservative whip suspended from 26 May 2005 to 13 September 2006 after he voted to censure the European Commission. Simultaneously, his membership of the EPP-ED group was withdrawn, and it has not been restored.
- Syed Kamall replaced Theresa Villiers on 12 May 2005.
- Originally elected as a Liberal Democrat, Saj Karim joined the Conservative Party on 26 November 2007.
- Robert Kilroy-Silk was elected as a member of UKIP, and sat in the Independence and Democracy group. He resigned the UKIP whip on 27 October 2004 and founded Veritas on 2 February 2005.
- Ashley Mote was elected as a member of UKIP, and would have sat with the Independence and Democracy group, had he not been suspended from UKIP on 16 July 2004. Instead, he sat as a Non-inscrit member until becoming a founder member of the Identity, Tradition, Sovereignty group in January 2007. ITS ceased to exist in November that year.
- Terry Wynn resigned on 27 August 2006 and was replaced by Brian Simpson.
- Phillip Whitehead died on 31 December 2005, and was replaced by Glenis Willmott on 1 January 2006.