Memorial High School (Millville, New Jersey)
|Memorial High School|
|504 East Broad Street
Millville, NJ 08332
|Type||public high school|
|School district||Millville Public Schools|
|Vice Principals||Scott Godfrey (discipline)
|Faculty||92.2 (on FTE basis)|
|Enrollment||1,114 (as of 2010-11)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.08:1|
Memorial High School is a public high school in Millville, New Jersey, United States, operated as part of the Millville Public Schools. The school was built in 1925 and used as the Millville High School from 1925-1964 until the Millville Senior High School was built. Currently it is being used as a Junior High School to house the ninth grade and half of the tenth grade.
Students from Woodbine attend the district's high schools as part of a sending/receiving relationship. Maurice River Township students also attend the district's high schools, as part of a sending/receiving relationship with the Maurice River Township School District. Commercial Township and Lawrence Township also send students to the district's high schools; The four sending districts filed suit in 2009, challenging the way in which the Millville district charges for students from outside the district to attend the school.
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,114 students and 92.2 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.08:1. There were 439 students (39.4% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 105 (9.4% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The school is a memorial to those who lost their lives in World War I. Millville High School is the home of the Millville Thunderbolts.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 308th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 306th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Stephanie DeRose - Principal
- Scott Godfrey - Vice-Principal of Discipline
- Steve Platt - Vice-Principal And Guidance
- Data for Millville Senior High, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 10, 2012.
- Campbell, Al. "Woodbine School Proposes Consolidation with Middle Schools", Cape May County Herald, February 27, 2008. Accessed March 29, 2011. "One key factor, said Kopakowski, is Woodbine’s sending-receiving relationship with Millville School District. That Cumberland County district, with about 6,400 pupils K-12 has long educated Woodbine’s high school students."
- Maurice River Township Elementary School, Maurice River Township School District. Accessed March 29, 2011. "The Maurice River Township School District consists of one elementary school and is a sending district to the Millville School District for its high school students.... Maurice River Township transports approximately 180 students to the Memorial and Senior High Schools in Millville."
- Jones, Jean. "Sending districts Maurice River, Commercial, Lawrence, Woodbine suing Millville School District over tuition rates", The News of Cumberland County, April 13, 2009. Accessed March 29, 2011. "The suit, filed in the state Administrative Law Court, asks the commissioner of education to resolve a dispute about the method which the Millville school district is using to estimate and audit tuition for four sending districts. The four districts, Maurice River, Commercial, Lawrence and Woodbine, have joined in the suit with Maurice River as the lead agency."
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 2, 2012.
- Administration and Staff, Memorial High School. Accessed March 29, 2011.
- Memorial High School web pages
- Millville Public Schools
- Millville Public Schools's 2010–11 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Millville Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics