Memphis, Alabama

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Memphis, Alabama
Town
Location in Pickens County and the state of Alabama
Location in Pickens County and the state of Alabama
Coordinates: 33°8′1″N 88°17′49″W / 33.13361°N 88.29694°W / 33.13361; -88.29694
Country United States
State Alabama
County Pickens
Area
 • Total 0.4 sq mi (1 km2)
 • Land 0.4 sq mi (1 km2)
 • Water 0 sq mi (0 km2)
Elevation 167 ft (51 m)
Population (2010)
 • Total 29
 • Density 82.5/sq mi (33/km2)
Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6)
 • Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5)
FIPS code 01-48052
GNIS feature ID 0122652

Memphis, also known as Old Memphis, is a town in Pickens County, Alabama, United States. The population was 29 at the 2010 census.

Geography[edit]

Memphis is located at 33°8′1″N 88°17′49″W / 33.13361°N 88.29694°W / 33.13361; -88.29694 (33.133678, -88.297023).[1]

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2), all land.

Demographics[edit]

Historical population
Census Pop.
1980 95
1990 54 −43.2%
2000 33 −38.9%
2010 29 −12.1%
U.S. Decennial Census

As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 29 people residing in the town. 100.0% were African American.

As of the census[2] of 2000, there were 33 people, 10 households, and 6 families residing in the town. The population density was 85.3 people per square mile (32.7/km²). There were 12 housing units at an average density of 31.0 per square mile (11.9/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 3.03% White and 96.97% Black or African American.

There were 10 households out of which 20.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 20.0% were married couples living together, 40.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.0% were non-families. 20.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.30 and the average family size was 4.33.

In the town the population was spread out with 45.5% under the age of 18, 3.0% from 18 to 24, 12.1% from 25 to 44, 18.2% from 45 to 64, and 21.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 73.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 63.6 males.

The median income for a household in the town was $13,750, and the median income for a family was $20,833. Males had a median income of $26,250 versus $0 for females. The per capita income for the town was $4,444. There were 33.3% of families and 53.1% of the population living below the poverty line, including 65.0% of under eighteens and none of those over 65.

References[edit]

  1. ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23. 
  2. ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31. 

Coordinates: 33°08′01″N 88°17′49″W / 33.133678°N 88.297023°W / 33.133678; -88.297023