Welcome to Memphis sign
Location of Memphis, Texas
|• Total||2.2 sq mi (5.8 km2)|
|• Land||2.2 sq mi (5.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||2,057 ft (627 m)|
|• Density||1,105.2/sq mi (426.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1362609|
Texas Almanac: 1850-2010
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,479 people, 1,024 households, and 660 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,105.2 people per square mile (427.3/km²). There were 1,245 housing units at an average density of 555.1/sq mi (214.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 71.40% White, 9.08% African American, 0.56% Native American, 0.04% Asian, 17.63% from other races, and 1.29% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 26.02% of the population.
There were 1,024 households out of which 28.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.6% were married couples living together, 10.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.5% were non-families. 33.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 21.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the city the population was spread out with 27.1% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 22.1% from 25 to 44, 22.2% from 45 to 64, and 21.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 86.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $23,102, and the median income for a family was $27,367. Males had a median income of $24,620 versus $18,816 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,856. About 18.5% of families and 23.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 38.2% of those under age 18 and 15.4% of those age 65 or over.
Memphis is home to the Annual Traditional Bowhunters 3D target competition and Annual Country Club Memorial Day Tournament. The 3D competition is a group of targets setup along the plainsman archery club course. Bowhunters compete against each other scoring points for accuracy. This competition is held on the first weekend in May. The Country Club holds an annual golf tournament on Memorial Day. Details about the tournament can be found on http://www.memphistxcc.com.
Memphis is served by the Memphis Independent School District.
- Larry Combest, U.S. Representative from 1985-2003
- John Richard Fowler, politician and pharmacist
- Jack English Hightower, Democrat, U.S. Representative from 1975-1985
- The metalcore band Memphis May Fire
- Blues Boy Willie, Blues singer
- Marzelle Billings, mother of Aubrey Smith Jr.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Memphis, Texas
- U.S. Decennial Census
- Texas Almanac: City Population History 1850-2000
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Memphis, Texas.|