Men Against Rape and Discrimination
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for companies and organizations. (January 2014)|
Logo of Men Against Rape and Discrimination (MARD)
|Mission||Works against rape and discrimination of women|
Men Against Rape and Discrimination or MARD/M.A.R.D is a 2013 social campaign launched by Bollywood film director and actor Farhan Akhtar. The word "MARD" ("Mard"; Hindi: मर्द, English: Man) has been used in the short form of the campaign name. The campaign aims to raise social awareness against rape and discrimination of women.
From its launch, the campaign became a topic of discussion in several social networking sites and it got positive feedback from Bollywood actors like Shahrukh Khan, Priyanka Chopra, Arjun Rampal, Hrithik Roshan etc.
Akhtar conceived MARD after an incident in August 2012. Pallavi Purkayastha, a Mumbai lawyer, was brutally murdered by her watchman for fighting for her dignity because he tried to sexually assault her. Akhtar launched his campaign in March 2013.
In March 2013, Akhthar performed at a college concert in Bangalore wearing a t-shirt with MARD's logo. He also attempted to popularize this campaign using social networking sites. The tweets posted by Akhtar were hugely popular. In an interview, Akhtar stated that he wanted to bring the campaign to education institutions, such as schools and colleges, "to drive home the message that women need to be respected."
Farhan Akhtar, who initiated the social campaign, was also seen promoting the cause at Indian Premiere League season six where he distributed 70,000 moustaches among the audience on the 26th of April 2013 at Eden Gardens, Kolkata during the Kolkata Knight Riders vs Kings XI Punjab match in support of the initiative. This initiative was supported by Adam Gilchrist, Gautam Gambhir, Shaan, and many others who sported the moustache in the stadium.
Actor Mahesh Babu and cricketer Sachin Tendulkar joined the initiative in June 2013. Both Mahesh Babu and Sachin Tendulkar lent their voice to record a poem, written by Farhan's father Javed Akhtar.
After its launch, the campaign became a hot topic on different social networking sites, including Twitter and Facebook. The initiative received positive feedback and support from many Bollywood actors, including Shahrukh Khan, Priyanka Chopra, Mahesh Babu, Arjun Rampal, Hrithik Roshan, Shahid Kapoor, Vidya Balan etc. Akhtar's tweets were actively re-tweeted by Priyanka Chopra, Arjun Rampal, Sonam Kapoor and Shabana Azmi.
- "Farhan Akhtar launches campaign against 'rape and discrimination'". The Times of India. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Farhan Akhtar Starts 'MARD' (Men Against Rape and Discrimination)". Business of Cinema. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Farhan Akhtar to lead campaign against 'rape and discrimination'". Aaj TV. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Bollywood filmmaker launches 'MARD' campaign against rape, discrimination". 7 Days in Dubai. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Mumbai law graduate Pallavi Purkayastha's killer was driven by lust". The Times of India. August 11, 2012. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Farhan Akhtar tweet". Twitter. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Farhan Tweets up a MARD storm". India Today. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Farhan Akhtar’s MARD Campaign; Adam Gilchrist, Gautam Gambhir, Shaan, SRK Sport Moustaches [PHOTOS] - International Business Times". Ibtimes.co.in. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- TNN Jun 9, 2013, 04.00PM IST. "Mahesh, Sachin Tendulkar join hands for MARD – Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2013-06-12.