Men Are Like Waffles — Women Are Like Spaghetti
|Author||Bill and Pam Farrell|
|Subject||Sex differences in human psychology|
Men Are Like Waffles — Women Are Like Spaghetti is a 2001 book written by Bill and Pam Farrell, co-directors and founders of relationship counseling organization Masterful Living. It is based on an analogy comparing men to waffles and women to spaghetti. In this analogy, the walled boxes that together constitute waffles symbolize men's psychological compartmentalization while the overlapping nature of spaghetti symbolizes women's favoring of psychological interconnectedness. H. Norman Wright wrote that the Farrells' idea was interesting and recommended that married couples meditate on it and discuss it. Because of the Farrells' observations, Sharon Jaynes recommended that women doing presentations to male leadership should "stick to the issue at hand and verbalize the presentation in an orderly and concise manner." Cordelia Fine criticized the book's title as being something a child would make up, and argued against the Farrells' premise that there are inherent sex differences in human psychology. In 2002, the Farrells published a related book called Single Men Are Like Waffles — Single Women Are Like Spaghetti. Melanie Jones of The Gadsden Times suggests that single people should not read this book or other relationship advice books when lonely on Valentine's Day, although Jones makes an exception for Don't Date Naked.
- Bill Farrell; Pam Farrell (2001). Men Are Like Waffles — Women Are Like Spaghetti. Eugene, Oregon: Harvest House. ISBN 0736904867.
- Whitney Hopler (August 14, 2002). "What Motivates the Opposite Sex?". Crosswalk.com. Retrieved March 20, 2013.
- Chad Eastham (2006). The Truth About Guys. Thomas Nelson. p. 23. ISBN 141855331X.
- Mary Hunt (2004). Debt-Proof Your Marriage: How to Achieve Financial Harmony. Revell. p. 79. ISBN 1441201718.
- H. Norman Wright (2002). After You Say "I Do" Devotional: Meditations for Every Couple. Harvest House. p. 295. ISBN 0736935444.
- Sharon Jaynes (2005). Building an Effective Women's Ministry. Harvest House. p. 57. ISBN 0736935614.
- Cordelia Fine (2010). Delusions of Gender: How Our Minds, Society, and Neurosexism Create Difference. W. W. Norton & Company. p. 223. ISBN 0393079252.
- Bill Farrell; Pam Farrell (2001). Single Men Are Like Waffles — Single Women Are Like Spaghetti. Eugene, Oregon: Harvest House. ISBN 0736902805.
- Melanie Jones (February 11, 2007). "'Sad' and Single: Tips will help unmarrieds make the most of Valentine's Day". The Gadsden Times: D1.