Men of a Certain Age
|Men of a Certain Age|
|Created by||Mike Royce
Lisa Gay Hamilton
|Opening theme||"When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)" by The Beach Boys|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||22 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Cary Hoffman
|Producer(s)||Victor Hsu (line producer)|
|Editor(s)||Kevin D. Ross|
|Running time||43 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Snowpants Productions
Papa Al Productions
TNT Original Productions
|Original run||December 7, 2009– July 6, 2011|
Men of a Certain Age is an American comedy-drama television series, which premiered on TNT on December 7, 2009. The hour-long program stars Ray Romano, Andre Braugher and Scott Bakula as three best friends in their late forties dealing with the realities of middle age. It won a Peabody Award in 2010. On July 15, 2011, TNT cancelled the series after two seasons.
The series follows the bonds of friendship among three lifelong friends – Joe, Owen and Terry – who are now in their late 40s. (The Joe and Terry characters turn 50 in Season 2.) Joe (Ray Romano) is a slightly neurotic separated father of two (Brittany Curran as Lucy, and Braeden Lemasters as Albert) who had hoped to become a pro golfer but now owns a party supply store, and has a gambling addiction. Owen (Andre Braugher) is an overstressed, diabetic husband and father, who works at a job he hates, at a car dealership owned and managed by his father (Richard Gant), a former NBA player. Terry (Scott Bakula) is a struggling actor. He has never married, and usually dates much younger women.
In the second season, Owen's father has retired and left Owen in charge of the dealership, where Terry now works as a salesman.
- Ray Romano as Joe Tranelli
- Andre Braugher as Owen Thoreau, Jr.
- Scott Bakula as Terry Elliot
- Lil' JJ as Dashaun
- Emily Rios as Maria
- Lisa Gay Hamilton as Melissa Thoreau
- Richard Gant as Owen Thoreau, Sr.
- Brittany Curran as Lucy Tranelli
- Braeden Lemasters as Albert Tranelli
- Eddie Shin as Carl
- Carla Gallo as Annie
- Brian J. White as Marcus
- Matt Price as Lawrence
- Michael Hitchcock as Dave
- Kwesi Boakye as Jamie
- Albert Hall as Bruce
- Patricia de Leon as Joe's Fantasy Woman
- Jon Manfrellotti as Manfro
- Melinda McGraw as Erin Riley
- Penelope Ann Miller as Joe's ex-wife, Sonia Tranelli
- Robert Loggia as Joe's father, Artie
In March 2008, TNT announced that it had ordered a pilot based on a script written by Ray Romano and Mike Royce. Both men had previously worked together on Everybody Loves Raymond. Andre Braugher and Scott Bakula were announced in June and July, respectively, to also star in the series with Romano. In January 2009, TNT ordered 10 episodes of Men of a Certain Age. It is Bakula's first series as a regular cast member since Star Trek: Enterprise, Braugher's first regular role since Thief ended in 2006, and Romano's first series since Everybody Loves Raymond wrapped in May 2005. Men of a Certain Age premiered on TNT on December 7, 2009. It was given a TV-MA-L rating because of strong language. On January 14, 2010 TNT renewed the show for a second season, which premiered on December 6, 2010. The second season was aired in two batches of six episodes each.
On July 15, 2011, TNT announced that they would not be renewing Men of a Certain Age for a third season.
Awards and Nominations
- Andre Braugher nominated in 2010 for Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
- Andre Braugher nominated in 2011 for Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
- 2010 Peabody Award Winner
- Sofia M. Fernandez (July 15, 2011). "Hollywood laments Men of a Certain Age cancellation". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- Seidman, Robert (July 15, 2011). "TNT Cancels 'Men of a Certain Age'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 15, 2011.
- Becker, Anne (March 31, 2008). "TNT Orders Ray Romano Pilot Men of a Certain Age". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved 2009-03-29.
- "TNT Orders Pilot for Drama Series Men of a Certain Age, Starring Emmy Winner Ray Romano". April 1, 2008. Retrieved 2009-03-29.
- "Andre Braugher joins TNT pilot". The Hollywood Reporter. June 4, 2008. Retrieved 2009-01-20.[dead link]
- "Bakula back on TV in Romano pilot". The New York Post. July 11, 2008. Retrieved 2009-01-20.[dead link]
- Schneider, Michael (July 10, 2008). "Scott Bakula joins TNT's 'Men'". Variety. Retrieved 2009-03-29.
- Frankel, Daniel (January 12, 2009). "TNT greenlights Ray Romano series". Variety. Retrieved 2009-03-29.
- "TNT orders Ray Romano's 'Men' to series". The Hollywood Reporter. January 12, 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-18.[dead link]
- Lowry, Brian (December 4, 2009). "Men of a Certain Age". Variety. Retrieved December 8, 2009.
- Men of a Certain Age at the Internet Movie Database
- Men of a Certain Age at TV.com
- Men of a Certain Age on Super Channel