|Menas C. Kafatos|
March 25, 1945 |
|Residence||Marina Del Rey, CA, USA|
|Fields||Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, Quantum biology, Natural hazards, Climate change, Philosophy|
|Institutions||Chapman University, Center of Excellence in Earth Systems Modeling and Observations (CEESMO)|
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (PhD)
Cornell University (BA)
|Influences||Niels Bohr, John von Neumann, Philip Morrison, Mihai Draganescu|
|Notable awards||Honorary Member, Romanian Academy of Sciences (2000), Rustum Roy Award, Chopra Foundation (2011), IEEE Orange County Chapter, Outstanding Leadership and Professional Service Award (2011)|
Menas C. Kafatos (Greek: Μηνάς Καφάτος; born 25 March 1945) is an American physicist of Greek descent and international writer on science. His publications include: The Nonlocal Universe and The Conscious Universe. He is internationally known for bridging the disciplines, writing and lecturing extensively on the convergence between science and philosophy as there is a need for real dialogue between science, spirituality, and religion. In the United States he has been interviewed by and featured in public media outlets for his work on wildfires in California and other natural hazards, climate change, and quantum theory and consciousness. He has held numerous positions at institutions including Chapman University, George Mason University, and NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.
Kafatos received his B.A. in Physics from Cornell University in 1967 and a Ph.D. in Physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1972. After postdoctoral work at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, he joined George Mason University and was University Professor of Interdisciplinary Sciences from 1984-2008, where he also served as Dean of the School of Computational Sciences and Director of the Center for Earth Observing and Space Research. He and a team of computational scientists joined Chapman University in the fall of 2008, where he was the Founding Dean of the Schmid College of Science and Technology serving as dean from 2009 – 2012. He currently is the director of the Center of Excellence in Earth Systems Modeling and Observations (CEESMO).
Kafatos has authored books including The Conscious Universe, The Non-local Universe (with Robert Nadeau, Springer-Verlag and Oxford University Press), Principles of Integrative Science (with Mihai Draganescu, Romanian Academy of Sciences Press), and more than 300 peer reviewed publications, cited by over 750 other articles.
Notable scientific contributions include enhancements to synthetic tropical cyclone (hurricane) circulations used in forecast models, a better understanding of quasars, new perspectives on the self organization of the universe through the lense of complexity, a detailed look at the relationship between vegetation in the United Stats and El Niño/Southern Oscillation, and a better understanding of dust and aerosols over India.
Kafatos lives in Marina Del Rey, CA with his wife Susan Yang, a scientist in the fields of computational biology, experimental biology, and neuroscience. They met while working together at George Mason University. His brother, Fotis Kafatos, is a biologist and founder and Honorary President of the European Research Council (ERC). Kafatos has 3 children: Lefteris, Stefanos, and Alexios. He is the Chairman of the Board for the American Hellenic Council.
Awards and honors
- 1986 George Mason University Distinguished Faculty Award
- 2011 Chopra Foundation Spirit of Rustum Roy Award
- 2011 IEEE Orange County Chapter Outstanding Leadership and Professional Service Award
- 2000 Romanian Academy of Sciences Honorary Member
- 2013 National Observatory of Athens Affiliated Researcher
- 2013 Kyung Hee University International Scholar
- Nadeau, Robert; Kafatos, Menas (2001). The Non-Local Universe: The New Physics and Matters of the Mind. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-514408-2.
- Kafatos, Menas; Nadeau, Robert (2000). The Conscious Universe: Parts and Wholes in Physical Reality. Springer Verlag. ISBN 978-0387988658.
- Grandpierre, A., Kafatos, M. (2013) Genuine Biological Autonomy: How can the Spooky Finger of Mind Play on the Physical Keyboard of the Brain? Chapter 9, “An Anthology of Philosophical Studies” Vol. 7, P. Hanna (edit.), Athens Institute for Education and Research 2013, pp. 83–98 (Book Chapter)
- Sarafoglou, N., and Kafatos, M. (2013) Energy Production, Conversion, Transmission, and Distribution, Policy, Planning, and Mitigation Process-General Considerations: Infrastructure and Vilnerability Caused by Climate/00316, in “Climate Variability, 1st Edition: Understanding and Addressing Threats to Essential Resources”, R. A. Pielke, Sr. (edit. In chief), Elsevier, ISBN 9780123847034 (Book Chapter)
- Qu, J.J., Gao, W., Kafatos, M., Murphy, R.E., Salomonson, V.V. (edit.) Earth Science Satellite Remote Sensing: Science and Instruments Vol. I, & Data, Computational Processing, and Tools, Vol. II, Beijing, Tsinghua Univ. Press, Berlin, Springer-Verlag, (2006), ISBN 3-540-35606-1.
- Zhou,G., Baysal, O., Kafatos, M., and Yang, R. (edit.) Real-time Information Technology for Future Intelligent Earth Observing Satellites, Hierophantes: Pottstown, Pennsylvania, (2003), ISBN 0-9727940-0-X.
- Theise, ND, Kafatos, M. (2013) Complementarity in biological systems: a complexity view. Complexity Vol. 18, No. 6, pp. 11–20 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/cplx.21453
- Grandpierre, A., Chopra, D., Doraiswamy, P. Murali, Tanzi, R., Kafatos, M.C., (2013) A Multidisciplinary Approach to Mind and Consciousness. NeuroQuantology Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 607–617 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14704/nq.2013.11.4.703
- Theise, N. D., Kafatos, M. (2013) Sentience Everywhere: Complexity Theory, Panpsychism & the Role of Sentience in Self-Organization of the Universe, Journal of Consciousness Exploration & Research, Volume 4, Issue 4, pp. 378–390.
- Sarafoglou, N., Kafatos, M., and Beall, J.H. (2012), Simultaneity in the Scientific Enterprise, Studies in Sociology of Science, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 20–30, CS Canada, ISSN 1923-0184
- El-Askary, H., et al., Kafatos, M., (2013) Annual Patterns of Atmospheric Pollutions and Episodes over Cairo Egypt, Advances in Meteorology, Article ID 984853, 11 pages. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/984853.
- Jaswal, A. K., Kumar, N., Prasad, A. K., Kafatos, M., (2013) Decline in horizontal surface visibility over India (1961–2008) and its association with meteorological variables, Natural Hazards DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11069-013-0666-2
- 동서양 영적 지도자의 만남 '프뉴마 터치 코리아 2013' [Meet the spiritual leader of the East and the West 'pneuma Touch Korea 2013]. Maeil Broadcasting Network (in Korean). 2013-03-11. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- Μια Νέα Επιστήμη Βασισμένη στην Συνείδηση [A New Science Based on Consciousness]. Εκδόσεις Α. Μυκωνιάτη Α.Ε. (in Greek). 2012-12-18. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- ΔΑΜΑ (Dama), ΓΕΩΡΓΙΑ (Georgia) (2013-01-20). Ηλιος, θάλασσα και... κύματα [Sun, sea and waves...]. Eleftherotypia (in Greek). Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- Schuppe, Jon (2013-06-14). "After Brutal Start, Wildfire Season Could Get Much Worse". KNBC. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- "Satellites see double jeopardy for Southern California fire season". Science Daily. 2013-05-13. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- "Will Tsunami Debris Reach California?". KNBC. 2012-03-09. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- Brennan, Pat (2013-12-17). "Trace radiation seen in California". Orange County Register. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- Kafatos, Menas. "Curriculum Vitae". Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- "Microsoft Academic Search". Menas Kafatos. Microsoft. Retrieved 2014-05-29.
- Ma, Yimin; Kafatos, Menas; Davidson, Noel E. (2012-07). "Surface pressure profiles, vortex structure and initialization for hurricane prediction. Part I: analysis of observed and synthetic structures". Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 117 (1–2): 5–23. Bibcode:2012MAP...117....5M. doi:10.1007/s00703-012-0190-z. Retrieved 2014-05-30. Check date values in:
- Roy, Sisir; Roy, Malabika; Ghosh,Joydip; Kafatos, Menas (2007-01-03). "Dynamic Multiple Scattering, Frequency Shift and Possible Effects on Quasar Astronomy". Journal of Computational Methods in Science and Engineering 00: 1–23. arXiv:astro-ph/0701071. doi:10.3233/JCM-120462 (inactive 2014-10-20). Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- Theise, N.D.; Kafatos, M. (2013). "Sentience Everywhere: Complexity Theory, Panpsychism & the Role of Sentience in Self-Organization of the Universe". Journal of Consciousness Exploration & Research 4 (4): 378–390. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- Theise, N.D.; Kafatos, M. (2013). "Complementarity in biological systems: a complexity view". Complexity 18 (6): 11–20. doi:10.1002/cplx.21453.
- Zuotao, Li; Kaftatos, Menas (2000). "Interannual Variability of Vegetation in the United States and Its Relation to El Niño/Southern Oscillation". Remote Sens. Environ. 71 (3): 239–247. doi:10.1016/S0034-4257(99)00034-6. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- Gautam, R; Hsu, NC; Lau, K.M.; Kafatos, M (2009-01). "Aerosol and rainfall variability over the Indian monsoon region: distributions, trends and coupling". Annales Geophysicae 27 (9): 3691–3703. Bibcode:2009AnGeo..27.3691G. doi:10.5194/angeo-27-3691-2009. Check date values in:
- El-Askary, Hesham; Gautam, R.; R. P. Singh, R.P.; Kafatos, M.; Singh, R. P.; Kafatos, M. (2006). "Dust storms detection over the Indo-Gangetic basin using multi sensor data". Advances in Space Research 37 (4): 728–733. Bibcode:2006AdSpR..37..728E. doi:10.1016/j.asr.2005.03.134.