Menas C. Kafatos (Greek: Μηνάς Καφάτος) is a physicist and writer on science. His publications include "The Nonlocal Universe" and "The Conscious Universe".
Kafatos received a B.A. in Physics from Cornell University in 1967 and a Ph.D. in Physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1972. After postdoctoral work at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, he joined George Mason University and was University Professor of Interdisciplinary Sciences from 1984-2008, where he also served as Dean of the School of Computational Sciences and Director of the Center for Earth Observing and Space Research. He and a team of computational scientists joined Chapman University in fall, 2008. He is the Founding Dean of the Schmid College of Science and Technology at Chapman University, serving as dean in 2009 – 2012. He directs the Center of Excellence in Earth Systems Modeling and Observations.
Kafatos has published books including The Conscious Universe, The Non-local Universe (with Robert Nadeau, Springer-Verlag and Oxford), Principles of Integrative Science (with Mihai Draganescu, Romanian Academy of Sciences Press), and more than 250 articles in computational science, astrophysics, Earth systems science, hazards and global climate change, regional impacts of climate change, environmental issues, general relativity, cosmology, foundations of quantum theory, and consciousness.
He is recipient of the Rustum Roy Award from the Chopra Foundation, February 2011, which “honors individuals whose devotion and commitment to their passion for finding answers in their field is matched only by their commitment to humanity”; an honorary member of the Romanian Academy of Sciences; Member, Board of Trustees, Universities Space Research Association (USRA), 2006-2008; Member, OCTANe Board, 2010–present; Member, American Hellenic Council, 2011 – present; IEEE Orange County Chapter - Outstanding Leadership and Professional Service Award, October, 2011.
Selected works and Publications
Biology and Physics:
- Robert Nadeau and Menas Kafatos, (2001). The Non-Local Universe: The New Physics and Matters of the Mind, Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-514408-2
- Theise, ND, Kafatos, M. (2013) Complementarity in biological systems: a complexity view. Complexity Vol. 18, No. 6, pp. 11–20 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/cplx.21453
- Grandpierre, A., Chopra, D., Doraiswamy, P. Murali, Tanzi, R., Kafatos, M.C., (2013) A Multidisciplinary Approach to Mind and Consciousness. NeuroQuantology Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 607–617 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14704/nq.2013.11.4.703
- Chopra, D., Penrose, R., Kragh, H., Kafatos, M., King, C., Joseph, R., Mensky, M., Clarke, C. (2011) Cosmology of Consciousness: Quantum Physics & Neuroscience of the Mind, Cosmology Science Publishers, ISBN 978-0970073358.
Earth System Science/Earth Observing/Remote Sensing:
- El-Askary, H., et al., Kafatos, M., (2013) Annual Patterns of Atmospheric Pollutions and Episodes over Cairo Egypt, Advances in Meteorology, Article ID 984853, 11 pages. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/984853.
- Sarafoglou, N., and Kafatos, M. (2013) Energy Production, Conversion, Transmission, and Distribution, Policy, Planning, and Mitigation Process-General Considerations: Infrastructure and Vilnerability Caused by Climate/00316, in “Climate Variability, 1st Edition: Understanding and Addressing Threats to Essential Resources”, R. A. Pielke, Sr. (edit. In chief), Elsevier, ISBN 9780123847034 (Book Chapter)
- Jaswal, A. K., Kumar, N., Prasad, A. K., Kafatos, M., (2013) Decline in horizontal surface visibility over India (1961–2008) and its association with meteorological variables, Natural Hazards DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11069-013-0666-2
- Qu, J.J., Gao, W., Kafatos, M., Murphy, R.E., Salomonson, V.V. (edit.) Earth Science Satellite Remote Sensing: Science and Instruments Vol. I, & Data, Computational Processing, and Tools, Vol. II, Beijing, Tsinghua Univ. Press, Berlin, Springer-Verlag, (2006), ISBN 3-540-35606-1. (15 citations)—translated in Chinese
- Zhou,G., Baysal, O., Kafatos, M., and Yang, R. (edit.) Real-time Information Technology for Future Intelligent Earth Observing Satellites, Hierophantes: Pottstown, Pennsylvania, (2003), ISBN 0-9727940-0-X. (13 citations)
|This article about an American physicist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|