||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (January 2012)|
|Founded||San Fernando Valley, California 2007|
|Headquarters||Encino, California, United States|
|Number of locations||275+|
|Area served||United States, Canada, Australia, Japan, Puerto Rico|
|Key people||Amit Kleinberger, CEO
Danna Caldwell , Co-Founder
Adam Caldwell, Co-Founder
Menchie's is a frozen yogurt chain company founded by Danna and Adam Caldwell and is based in the San Fernando Valley, California area. Menchie's offers self-serve frozen yogurt with a large selection of yogurt flavors and toppings. Since its start in 2007, Menchie's has become a fast growing food chain with over 235 locations open in the US, Canada, Japan and Australia.
Danna and Adam Caldwell opened the first Menchie's store in Los Angeles on May 15, 2007. The couple got their business idea from their mutual love for frozen yogurt.
Menchie's customers can mix and match any combination of frozen yogurt flavors and toppings at a self-serve yogurt station. Menchie's have 10 to 16 flavors in store and nearly 100 rotating flavors, which include a range of regular, nonfat, low-carb, no added sugar, gluten-free, vegan, and dairy free yogurts. They also have roughly 70 rotating toppings that include fresh fruit, candy, hot fudge, and much more.
All of Menchie's pricing is measured in the weight of the yogurt and toppings, with prices ranging from 30 to 55 cents per ounce.
Menchie's also have their own private label frozen yogurt that provides their customers with new and exclusive flavors. Having their own private label frozen yogurt allows Menchie's to create flavors for different markets, such as international markets. A few of Menchie's private label flavors are Vanilla Snow, Red Velvet, and Gingerbread.
All of Menchie's frozen yogurts include live and active cultures, meaning that they meet yogurt quality standards, and have received the Live and Active Culture (LAC) seal by the National Yogurt Association (NYA). Their yogurt flavors are also gluten-free with the exception of flavors with cake or cookie.
- Original Tart: Serving Size: 1/2 Cup; Calories: 90, Total Fat: 0.5g, Carbs: 20g, Protein: 3g
- Vanilla: Serving Size: 1/2 Cup; Calories: 168, Total Fat: 0.5g, Carbs: 37g, Protein: 4g
After opening their first few locations, Menchie's began franchising. The cost of a Menchie's franchise ranges from $330,000 to $400,000 per store with an initial franchise fee of $40,000.
According to Chicago food industry research and Technomic Inc, there were over 32 locations in 2009. By 2010, The Menchie's franchise nearly doubled to over 60 stores in 15 U.S. States: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Maryland, Nevada, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington. Menchie's also opened more than a dozen locations Canada and has also opened stores in Japan and Australia. Menchie's have expansion goals to have locations in more countries and in every US state by the end of 2012. They have signed contracts to expand to 150+ more locations in 11 new U.S. states and 23 new countries: Alabama, Alaska, Illinois, Kentucky, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., Japan, Australia, United Arab Emirates, Mexico, Jordan, Egypt, Qatar, New Zealand, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, the United Kingdom, Bahrain, China, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Guam, India, Israel, Kuwait, Pakistan, Puerto Rico, South Africa, and Trinidad & Tobago.
Menchie's has won several awards for their success in the frozen yogurt market. In July 2010, Restaurant Business Magazine ranked Menchie's #1 on their Future 50' list rating Menchie's as the fastest growing restaurant franchise with a 748 percent growth.
- "Menchie's." http://www.menchies.com/ (accessed 02/02/2011).
- Culture change: encino frozen yogurt chain menchie’s jumps to Canada, Japan, Australia, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, mexico, new zealand, United Kingdom and Egypt. Los Angeles Business Journal, Retrieved from http://www.labusinessjournal.com/news/2010/jun/07/culture-change/
- Menchie's celebrates the holiday season by launching exclusive gingerbread flavor . (2010). Francising.com, Retrieved from http://www.franchising.com/news/20101207_menchies_celebrates_the_holiday_season_by_launchin.html
- "Live & Active Culture Yogurt." http://www.aboutyogurt.com/Live-Culture (accessed 02/02/2011).
- Menchie's 'tops off' 2010 with record franchise growth. (2010, December 15). PR Newswire, Retrieved from http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/menchies-tops-off-2010-with-record-franchise-growth-111947054.html
- "Frozen Yogurt Nutrition Facts." http://www.froyogirl.com/guide_yogurt-nutrition_facts.aspx (accessed 02/02/2011).
- Menchie's frozen yogurt. (n.d.). The Franchise Mall, Retrieved from http://www.thefranchisemall.com/franchises/details/13692-0-Menchies_Frozen_Yogurt.htm