Menchie's Frozen Yogurt
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2012)|
|Founded||San Fernando Valley, California 2007|
|Headquarters||Encino, California, United States|
Number of locations
|United States, Canada, Australia, Japan, Puerto Rico|
|Amit Kleinberger, CEO
Danna Caldwell , Co-Founder
Adam Caldwell, Co-Founder
Menchie's Frozen Yogurt is a frozen yogurt chain company founded in 2007 by Danna and Adam Caldwell and is based in the San Fernando Valley, California area. Menchie's offers self-serve frozen yogurt with different choices of yogurt flavors and toppings. Menchie's has over 235 locations and can be found in the US, Canada, Japan and Australia.
The first store was opened in Los Angeles on May 15, 2007. The idea for a store originated from the couples mutual love for yoghurt. The name Menchie came from Adam Caldwell's nickname for Danna, and it is also the name of their company's mascot
Menchie's offers yoghurt and various toppings to be self-served. Menchie's offers regular, nonfat, low-carb, no added sugar, gluten-free, vegan and dairy free yogurts that are available in 10 to 16 flavors in a store at a time. The flavors in a store at a time are rotated from over a 100 flavors. The topping selection is from a source of roughly 70 toppings that include types of fresh fruit, candy, and chocolate. Both toppings and flavors vary during each season.
All of Menchie's pricing is measured in the weight of the yogurt and toppings, with prices ranging from 30 to 55 cents per ounce.
All of Menchie's frozen yogurts include live and active cultures, meaning that they meet yogurt quality standards, and have received the Live and Active Culture (LAC) seal by the National Yogurt Association (NYA). Their yogurt flavors are also gluten-free with the exception of flavors with cake or cookie.
- Original Tart: Serving Size: 1/2 Cup; Calories: 90, Total Fat: 0.51g Carbs: 20g, Protein: 3g
- Vanilla: Serving Size: 1/2 Cup; Calories: 168, Total Fat: 0.5g, Carbs: 37g, Protein: 4g
Menchie's has franchise stores in various countries. The cost of a Menchie's franchise ranges from $330,000 to $400,000 per store with an initial franchise fee of $40,000.
In 2009, Menchie's had 32 franchise stores. By 2010, The Menchie's franchise nearly doubled to over 60 stores in 15 U.S. States: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Nevada, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington. Menchie's also opened more than a dozen locations Canada and has also opened stores in Japan and Australia. Menchie's have expansion goals to have locations in more countries and in every US state by the end of 2012. They have signed contracts to expand to 150+ more locations in 11 new U.S. states and 23 new countries: Alabama, Alaska, Illinois, Kentucky, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., Japan, Australia, United Arab Emirates, Mexico, Jordan, Egypt, Qatar, New Zealand, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, the United Kingdom, Bahrain, China, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Guam, India, Israel, Kuwait, Pakistan, Puerto Rico, South Africa, and Trinidad & Tobago.
Menchie's has won several awards for their success in the frozen yogurt market. In July 2010, Restaurant Business magazine ranked Menchie's #1 on their Future 50' list rating Menchie's as the fastest-growing restaurant franchise with a 748 percent growth. Menchie's has also ranked #16 on Forbes' "America's Most Promising Companies" list in 2014.
- "Menchie's." http://www.menchies.com/ (accessed 02/02/2011).
- http://www.labusinessjournal.com/news/2010/jun/07/culture-change/ (subscription required)
- Karlamangla, Soumya. "How I Made It: Amit Kleinberger." Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles Times, 23 Feb. 2014. Web. 09 Feb. 2015. <http://articles.latimes.com/2014/feb/23/business/la-fi-himi-kleinberger-20140223>.
- Culture change: encino frozen yogurt chain menchie’s jumps to Canada, Japan, Australia, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, mexico, new zealand, United Kingdom and Egypt. Los Angeles Business Journal, Retrieved from http://www.labusinessjournal.com/news/2010/jun/07/culture-change/ (subscription required)
- (2010). Francising.com, Retrieved from http://www.franchising.com/news/20101207_menchies_celebrates_the_holiday_season_by_launchin.html
- "Live & Active Culture Yogurt." http://www.aboutyogurt.com/Live-Culture (accessed 02/02/2011).
- Menchie's 'tops off' 2010 with record franchise growth. (2010, December 15). PR Newswire, Retrieved from http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/menchies-tops-off-2010-with-record-franchise-growth-111947054.html
- "Frozen Yogurt Nutrition Facts." http://www.froyogirl.com/guide_yogurt-nutrition_facts.aspx (accessed 02/02/2011).
- Menchie's frozen yogurt. (n.d.). The Franchise Mall, Retrieved from http://www.thefranchisemall.com/franchises/details/13692-0-Menchies_Frozen_Yogurt.htm
- http://www.forbes.com/companies/menchies-frozen-yogurt/ (subscription required)