|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from related articles; try the Find links tool for suggestions. (January 2011)|
Menno Schilthuizen (1965) is a Dutch evolutionary biologist, ecologist, and permanent research scientist at Naturalis Biodiversity Center 'Naturalis' in Leiden and a professor in character evolution and biodiversity at Leiden University, The Netherlands. He has published numerous articles about evolution and ecology and two popular science books'. In particular, his studies have concerned land snails and beetles. A new book, on the evolution of genitalia, is set to appear with Penguin in May, 2014.
Education and career
Menno Schilthuizen graduated from and received his PhD at Leiden University. From 1995 to 2000 he worked at Wageningen University. From 2000 to 2006 he worked at the Institute for Tropical Biology and Conservation in Sabah, Malaysian Borneo, where he studied land snail ecology and evolution in tropical forests, caves, and limestone habitats. In January 2007 he became deputy-director of research at Naturalis Museum, Leiden. He stayed at this post for one and a half years, and then became permanent research scientist. He now heads the character evolution research team. From 2007 to 2012, he was hoorary professor of insect biodiversity at Groningen University.
- Frogs Flies and Dandelions: The Making of Species, 2002. Oxford University Press. 254 pages. ISBN 978-0-19-850392-7
- The Loom of Life: Unravelling Ecosystems, 2008. Springer. 168 pages. ISBN 978-3-540-68051-2
The Loom of Life is a short history of the origin and evolution of ecology as a science.
- Schilthuizen, M., 2005. 'On the origin of reproductive isolation'. BioEssays, 27: 669-670
- Schilthuizen, M., 2000. 'Dualism and conflicts in understanding speciation'. BioEssays, 22: 1134-1141
- Richard G. Harrison (2001) Diverse origins of biodiversity, Nature 411, 635-636 (7 June 2001) is a review of Frogs, Flies & Dandelions.
- Emma Marris (2008) No species is an island, Nature 455, 1178-1179 (30 October 2008) is a review of The Loom of Life.