Mens Sana Monographs
|Mens Sana Monographs|
|Abbreviated title (ISO 4)||Mens Sana Monogr.|
|Discipline||Biomedicine, mental health|
|Edited by||Ajai R. Singh|
The Mens Sana Monographs (MSM) is an open-access peer-reviewed medical journal-cum-monographic series. It is Devoted to the Understanding of Medicine, Mental Health, Mind, Man and their Matrix. (It explains "Mens sana" in its own name by referencing Juvenal's phrase Mens sana in corpore sano, saying "A healthy (sound) mind ... is the mission of the [series].") Published by the Mens Sana Research Foundation and Medknow Publications, it attempts to give in-depth understanding of Psychiatric/Biomedical/Psychological/Philosophical consequences of social disorders/issues and current events. It does so through Analysis and Opinion articles and Monographs, based on evidence and research studies. Monographs are to be followed by enlightened discussion on the issues raised by interested readers/scholars. Every issue also has a MSM Book Review and MSM Poems section. Besides full length papers and editorials, it also has sections called Musings, Reflections, The Looking Glass, and Journalology. Although MSM is a journal, every volume is also published as a book, with a separate ISBN number. MSM is a not for profit venture.
History and editors
Mens Sana Monographs started publication in May 2003 and was published bimonthly earlier. From Jan 2007, MSM is published annually. MSM's editor in chief is Ajai R. Singh, who is a member of the World Association of Medical Editors.
Global Theme Issue on Poverty and Human Development
Mens Sana Monographs took part in the initiative launched by The Council of Science Editors (CSE) to have a Global Theme Issue on 'Poverty and Human Development'. It published papers on this topic in its Theme Issue of Jan 2008 and pre-published a paper related to Poverty and Human Development on Monday, 22 Oct 2007 to coincide with this world wide initiative of the CSE.,
Theme Monographs 2006-2013
Mens Sana Monographs has published Theme Monographs on topics like, 'What Medicine Means to Me' (2006), 'Medicine and the Pharmaceutical Industry: And Ever the Duo Shall Meet' (2007), 'Medicine, Mental Health, Science, Religion and Well-being' (2008), 'Some Issues in Women's Studies, and Other Essays' (2009), 'Psychopharmacology Today' (2010), 'Issues in Schizophrenia, Medicalization, Stigma, Biomedicine, Journalology, and Other Essays' (2012), and 'Psychiatry, Consciousness and Other Essays (2013).
International Seminar on Mind, Brain and Consciousness and connected Theme Monograph MSM 2011
The Mens Sana Monographs, along with the World Psychiatric Association [Philosophy and Humanities Section] and the Indian Council of Philosophical Research, co-sponsored an International Seminar on Mind, Brain and Consciousness. It was conducted by VPM's Joshi-Bedekar College of Arts and Commerce, at its campus at Thane, Maharashtra, India, 13 to 15 January 2010. MSM 2011, titled, Brain, Mind and Consciousness: An Interdisciplinary International Perspective, is based on the papers presented there.
Reviews and republication
The 2006 monograph entitled "What Medicine Means to Me" was reviewed by the Indian Journal of Psychiatry, while the 2008 issue entitled "Medicine, Mental Health, Science, Religion and Well-being" has been reviewed by Metapsychology Online Reviews. The 2006 editorial ("What is a good editorial?") has been republished in the Indian Journal of Pharmacology, while the 2010 editorial ("Modern Medicine: Towards Prevention, Cure, Well-being and Longevity") has been translated in Portuguese and republished as "Medicina moderna: rumo à prevenção, à cura, ao bem-estar e à longevidade".
Abstracting and indexing
Mens Sana Monographs are indexed with CAB Abstracts, EBSCO Publishing's Electronic Databases , Global Health, Scimago Journal Rank , Scopus, NLM, , PubMed , PubMed Central , PubMed Central Canada and UK PubMed Central.
- Masthead on Homepage
- "Why MSM"
- About Journal
- World Association of Medical Editors Membership
- Journals Participating in the CSE Global Theme Issue on Poverty and Human Development
- CSE's Global Theme Issue on Poverty and Human Development
- CSE Global Theme Issue Articles in MSM 2008
- Poverty and Human Development Theme Issue Article in MSM 2007
- Articles Published in the Journals Participating in the CSE Global Theme Issue
- MSM 2006 'What Medicine Means to Me'
- MSM 2007, 'Medicine and the Pharmaceutical Industry'
- MSM 2008, 'Medicine, Mental health, Science, Religion and Well being'
- MSM 2009, 'Some Issues in Women's Studies'
- MSM 2010, 'Psychopharmacology Today'
- MSM 2012 'Issues in Schizophrenia, Medicalization, Stigma, Biomedicine, Journalology, and Other Essays'
- MSM 2013 'Psychiatry, Consciousness and Other Essays'
- International Seminar on Mind, Brain and Consciousness. Retrieved 14 Mar 2011
- MSM 2011: Brain, Mind and Consciousness: An Interdisciplinary International Perspective
- MSM 2006 Reviewed in IJP 2007
- MSM 2008 Review in Metapsychology Online Reviews
- MSM editorial republished, Indian Journal of Pharmacology
- Singh, Ajai. Medicina moderna: rumo à prevenção, à cura, ao bem-estar e à longevidade. Rev. latinoam. psicopatol. fundam., Jun 2010, vol.13, no.2, p.265-282. ISSN 1415-4714