Meporter is a citizen journalist mobile phone application that uses geolocation and multimedia to create hyperlocal, real-time news. It allows users to post news with headlines, text, videos, and images using their smartphone to the Meporter database and to the Meporter website. Once logged into Meporter, the user can select to have the story pinpointed on a map, which finds their location by GPS. When the story is uploaded, it is viewable by other meporters via their smartphone or the Meporter website. Meporters can also check into the story as an eyewitness and update it with more text, pics and videos. The name itself is a combination of the words “Me” and “Reporter.”
Meporters can select a standard news category for their story, including crime, business, nightlife, entertainment and others. Once a user starts posting stories they earn “Press Passes,” that are similar to Foursquare Badges, which can occasionally be exchanged for prizes.
Multimedia without Character Limits
Meporter is a multimedia based system that allows users to upload text, images, and videos to the events on meporter. Unlike other geolocation apps, Meporter does not have character limits on the text, so users can upload as much text as they deem necessary to the database. The Meporter development team also does not edit any of the user uploaded media on Meporter.
Meporter has a point system that awards “Press Passes” to individuals who upload content and meet certain criteria. If the participating business is involved with the Press Pass, they can offer prizes to Press Pass holders. For instance, Forbes Magazine offers a free 6 month subscription to meporters who post 10 stories to the business category.
Geolocation or Select Address
Although Meporter is based on geolocation, it allows users to select an alternative location of their choice when posting a story.
Partnerships and Events
Meporter launched in 2011 at The TechCrunch Disrupt Conference in New York City. It has since been featured on Fox Business Network, The New York Times, The Washington Post and The Huffington Post. Meporter has partnered with several businesses, brands, and events including Forbes Magazine, The Vans Warped Tour, Willie Nelson’s Country Throwdown Tour, and Rockstar Mayhem Festival.
Mobile apps that have similar features to Meporter include:
- 360 News
- "About Meporter", Meporter LLC, Retrieved 08-03-11.
- "Forbes Meporter Press Pass", Meporter LLC, Retrieved 8-3-11
- "Write, Photograph And Film Local News As It Breaks With Meporter", TechCrunch, 5-24-2011
- "Giving Local News a Run for its Money", Fox Business Network, 6-20-2011. Retrieved 8-3-11
- Bishop, Mac William, "Start-Ups Vie for Attention at the Venture Capital Table", The New York Times Company, 5-24-2011. Retrieved 8-3-2011
- Overly, Steven, "The Download: Three start-up groups partner American Idol of start-ups", The Washington Post, 6-12-2011. Retrieved 8-3-2011
- Plesser, Andy, "Newsgathering Tool via iPhone -- "Meporter" Launches With Forbes Sponsorship ", The Huffington Post, 5-28-11. Retrieved 8-3-11.
- "Newsgathering Tool via iPhone -- "Meporter" Launches with Forbes Sponsorship", Beet.TV, 5-27-2011. Retrieved 8-3-2011
- "Vans Warped Tour 2011 Features Meporter Mobile Newsdesk App ", PRWeb, 5-31-2011. Retrieved 8-3-2011.
- "Stephen Erickson (Stericson) To Head Android Development At Meporter & We’ve Got Another Opening", The Droid Guy, 7-12-2011. Retrieved 8-8-2011