Mercatello sul Metauro
|Mercatello sul Metauro|
|Comune di Mercatello sul Metauro|
|Province||Pesaro e Urbino (PU)|
|Frazioni||Castello della Pieve|
|• Mayor||Giovanni Pistola|
|• Total||68.6 km2 (26.5 sq mi)|
|Elevation||429 m (1,407 ft)|
|Population (28 February 2009)|
|• Density||22/km2 (56/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||S.ta Veronica|
|Saint day||9 July|
Economy is mostly based on agriculture and sheep husbandry.
Mercatello is known as a settlement of the Umbri in the 12th century BC. Later it was conquered by the ancient Romans; destroyed during the barbaric invasions, it was rebuilt by the Lombards in the 6th century as Pieve d'Ico. First under Città di Castello and Massa Trabaria (9th century), it was turned into an autonomous fortified communee in 1235 by Pope Gregory IX. In 1437 it was annexed to the Duchy of Urbino; in 1636 it became part of the Papal States.
- Pieve Collegiata (with walls from the originary 10th century Romanesque edifice), rebuilt in 1363.
- Gothic church of St. Francis (13th century), wit ha notable collection of paintings from the 12th-17th centuries (including a portrait of Federico III da Montefeltro attributed to Benedetto da Maiano or Francesco di Giorgio Martini).
- Ducal Palace (15th century), also attributed to Francesco di Giorgio Matrini
- Palazzaccio (16th century).
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
|This Marche location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|