Mercator (retail)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Mercator d.d., Slovenija
Type Public
Industry Retail
Founded 1949
Headquarters Ljubljana, Slovenia
Area served Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro
Key people Toni Balažič, President of Management Board
Revenue 2.730 billion USD (2006)
Employees 23,620 (2011)
Website www.mercator.si

Mercator is a Slovenian retail chain based in Ljubljana. The company was founded in 1949 under the name Živila Ljubljana, but four years later it was renamed and given its current name. Today, Mercator is the biggest Slovenian and southeastern retail chain,[1] operating hypermarkets, supermarkets and grocery stores in Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro, Bulgaria and Albania.

Until the end of the 1990s, the company operated only in Slovenia, but then it started to spread on other markets by opening new hypermarkets in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Croatia. In 2002, Mercator also opened its first hypermarket in Serbia. Its primary market remains the home market in Slovenia, where the company currently operates 17 hypermarkets, but in early to mid-2000s they opened several new hypermarkets in Croatia and the company currently operates 5 hypermarkets in the country. There are also nine Mercator's hypermarkets and eight supermarkets in Bosnia and Herzegovina as well as three hypermarkets in Serbia. Apart from operating hypermarkets, the company also operates a total of more than 1,000 small grocery stores and supermarkets in aforementioned countries. Their future plans are to spread on the markets outside the territories of the former Yugoslavia and become one of the largest supermarket chains in Southeastern Europe.

Apart from selling products of renowned national and international companies, Mercator also operates its own brand of various food, drink and household products that are sold at discount prices in their supermarkets and groceries.

In 2006, Mercator Took over Serbian company M-Rodić, d.o.o.

In autumn of 2010, Mercator took over Croatian retail chain company Getro, which is the sixth biggest retail chain on Croatian territories.

In the beginning of March 2011, Mercator showed interests to take over Konzum, the biggest retail chain in Croatia witch is in property of Agrokor, and also has big market share in Serbia (11%) and Bosnia and Herzegovina.


In June of 2013, it was announced that the Croatian rival Agrokor, will acquire a 53% stake in the company. Agrokor plans to purchase most of the remaining 47% of Mercator by the end of 2013. However, the acquisition is still not complete, because agreements of competition watchdogs in various countries, where both companies are present, are needed.

Marketshare (2005):

  • Slovenia - 48,9%
  • Serbia - 11% (Together with M-Rodić, d.o.o., which is owned 76% by Mercator)
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina - 5%
  • Croatia - 4%

International operations[edit]

As of 2009, Mercator has operations in the countries listed below.

Croatia[edit]

The first Mercator store was opened in Pula in 2000. The company now has 11 hypermarkets, 26 supermarkets and 36 other stores.[2]

Bosnia and Herzegovina[edit]

The first Mercator store was opened in Sarajevo, in 2000. The company now has 9 hypermarkets and 8 supermarkets.[3]

Serbia[edit]

Mercator Center in Novi Beograd

The first Mercator store was opened in Belgrade, in 2002. As of 2013, the company has stores in many Serbian cities. The Mercator brand is reserved for shopping centers with hypermarkets in:

An upscale supermarket in the basement of the Beograđanka skyscraper is branded Mercator Premium. Other stores in Serbia are named Roda.

Montenegro[edit]

Mercator entered Montenegro's market by 2007 acquisition of 50% stake in domestic MEX retail chain. The chain named Mercator-MEX has 5 stores in:

Bulgaria[edit]

Mercator is planning to open 7 new shopping centers in Bulgaria in the next two years.[4] The first one was opened in Stara Zagora in October 2009.

Albania[edit]

The first Mercator store in Albania was opened in Tirana, in December 2009. In January 2013, Mercator withdrew from the Albanian market closing the two stores located in Tirana and Durrës. [5]

References[edit]

  1. ^ Cerni, Boris (May 7, 2009). "Mercator First-Quarter Profit Declines on Recession (Update1)". Bloomberg L.P. (bloomberg.com). Retrieved June 29, 2009. 
  2. ^ "Prodajna mesta". Mercator. Retrieved June 29, 2009. 
  3. ^ "Mercator prodavnice". Mercator. Retrieved June 29, 2009. [dead link]
  4. ^ Lipnik, Karel (June 6, 2009). "Mercator se za prodor v Bolgarijo pogaja z Grki". Finance.si. Retrieved June 29, 2009. 
  5. ^ Vizion Plus (December 16, 2009). ""Mercator" edhe ne Shqipëri". vizionplus.tv. Retrieved December 16, 2009. 

External links[edit]