|Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class (X156) |
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Compact executive crossover|
|Body style||5-door wagon|
|Layout||Front-engine, front-wheel drive or four-wheel drive|
|Related||Mercedes-Benz A-Class (W176)
Mercedes-Benz B-Class (W246)
1.8L Diesel I4
2.1L Diesel I4
7-speed DCT automatic
|Wheelbase||2,699 mm (106.3 in)|
|Length||4,417 mm (173.9 in)|
|Width||1,804 mm (71.0 in)|
|Height||1,494 mm (58.8 in)|
|Curb weight||1,505–1,585 kg (3,318–3,494 lb)|
The Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class is a luxury compact crossover automobile unveiled by the German manufacturer Mercedes-Benz at the 2013 Frankfurt Auto Show. It was previously unveiled to the public at the Shanghai Auto Show in April 2013 as a concept car.
The name GLA was devised in accordance with the revised Mercedes-Benz nomenclature for SUVs. This was formally announced in November 2014 to begin rollout in 2015. However, the GLA-Class name was already compliant with the naming structure since its debut. Under this scheme, SUVs use the base name "GL", followed by the model's placement in Mercedes-Benz hierarchy. The "G" is for geländewagen (German for off-road vehicle) and alludes the long-running G-Wagen. This is followed by the letter "L" that acts as a linkage with the letter "A"—the GLA being the SUV equivalent to the A-Class.
Concept GLA (2013)
The compact SUV concept car was unveiled in 2013 Auto Shanghai motor show and is powered by a 2.0-litre turbo petrol engine rated 211 PS (155 kW; 208 hp), 7-speed dual clutch automatic transmission, driving all wheels via the Mercedes-Benz 4Matic system. The concept included front headlamps with a laser-beam projector, two cameras housed in the front roof rail, 20-inch wheels and fibre-optic ambient interior lighting.
Concept GLA45 AMG (2013)
The Concept GLA45 AMG concept car was unveiled at the 2013 Los Angeles Auto Show, as a high-performance version of the GLA-Class with an AMG 2.0-litre four-cylinder twin-scroll turbocharged petrol engine rated 360 PS (265 kW; 355 hp) and 450 N·m (332 lbf·ft), 4Matic all wheel drive, AMG Speedshift DCT 7-speed transmission with paddle shifters, and fitted with various AMG-badged accoutrements and an AMG sports exhaust system with an electronically controlled variable vane system to modulate the exhaust note.
The production GLA-Class (X 156) is closely based on the Concept GLA design and was unveiled at the 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show. Orders had been taken beginning from the end of November 2013, and arrived in dealer showrooms during 2014, with Japan and US in the autumn.
GLA 45 AMG (2014–)
The design of GLA 45 AMG is based on Concept GLA45 AMG, with AMG sports suspension (McPherson front axle with stiffer steering knuckles, four-link rear axle, optimised elastokinematics, specially tuned spring/damper units, bigger anti-roll bars), electromechanical AMG speed-sensitive sports steering, AMG high-performance braking system (ventilated, cross-drilled brake discs, grey-painted brake callipers (optional red)), 3-stage ESP with "SPORT Handling" mode, ESP Curve Dynamic Assist, 5-twin-spoke AMG light-alloy wheels painted titanium grey with high-sheen finish and 235/45 R 19 tyres (optional 10-spoke AMG light-alloy wheels in 2 a choice of 2 colours (titanium grey with high-sheen finish, matt black with high-sheen rim flange) 235/40 R 20 tyres), AMG front apron with front splitter in matt titanium grey, AMG 'twin blade' radiator grille in matt titanium grey, black flics (air deflector elements) above the large exterior cooling air intakes, bi-xenon headlamps, side sill panels with titanium grey inserts, 'TURBO AMG' lettering on the front wings and the aluminium roof rails, rear diffuser insert with titanium grey trim, rectangular chrome-plated tailpipe trim at the twin tailpipes.
Launch models of the AMG are sold as "Edition 1", available for one year from market launch, and include a high-gloss black Aerodynamics package with larger front splitter, additional flics in the front apron, and rear aerofoil. The vehicle was unveiled at the 2014 North American International Auto Show with sales from the summer of 2014.
|GLA 180||2014–||1,595 cc (97.3 cu in) I4 turbo (M 270 DE 16 AL red.)||122 PS (90 kW; 120 hp)@5000, 200 N·m (148 lbf·ft)@1250-4000|
|GLA 200||2014–||1,595 cc (97.3 cu in) I4 turbo (M 270 DE 16 AL)||156 PS (115 kW; 154 hp)@5300, 250 N·m (184 lbf·ft)@1250-4000|
|GLA 250||2014–||1,991 cc (121.5 cu in) I4 turbo (M 270 DE 20 AL)||211 PS (155 kW; 208 hp)@5500, 350 N·m (258 lbf·ft)@1200-4000|
|GLA 45 AMG||2014–||1,991 cc (121.5 cu in) I4 twin-scroll turbo (M 133 DE 20 AL), BorgWarner turbocharger (180 kPa (26.1 psi))||360 PS (265 kW; 355 hp)@6000, 450 N·m (332 lbf·ft)@2250-5000|
|GLA 180 CDI||2014–||1,461 cc (89.2 cu in) I4 turbo (OM 607 DE 15 LA)||109 PS (80 kW; 108 hp)@4000, 260 N·m (192 lbf·ft)@1750-2500|
|GLA 200 CDI||2014–||2,143 cc (130.8 cu in) I4 turbo (OM 651 DE 22 LA)||136 PS (100 kW; 134 hp)@3400-4000, 300 N·m (221 lbf·ft)@1400-3000|
|GLA 220 CDI||2014–||2,143 cc (130.8 cu in) I4 turbo (OM 651 DE 22 LA)||170 PS (125 kW; 168 hp)@3400-4000, 350 N·m (258 lbf·ft)@1400-3400|
|GLA 180||2014–||7G-DCT dual clutch automatic|
|GLA 200||2014–||six-speed manual, 7G-DCT dual clutch automatic|
|GLA 250||2014–||7G-DCT dual clutch automatic|
|GLA 250 4MATIC||2014–||7G-DCT dual clutch automatic|
|GLA 45 AMG||2014–||7-speed sports (AMG SPEEDSHIFT DCT)|
|GLA 180 CDI||2014–||six-speed manual, 7G-DCT dual clutch automatic|
|GLA 200 CDI||2014–||six-speed manual, 7G-DCT dual clutch automatic|
|GLA 200 CDI 4MATIC||2014–||7G-DCT dual clutch automatic|
|GLA 220 CDI||2014–||7G-DCT dual clutch automatic|
|GLA 220 CDI 4MATIC||2014–||7G-DCT dual clutch automatic|
As part of a partnership between Mercedes-Benz and Nintendo, a television commercial featuring Mario driving a Mercedes-Benz GLA was released in the Japanese market in May 2014 to coincide with the line's Japanese launch. Additional commercials featuring other Mario characters in the same style were released in November 2014. Additionally, the Wii U game Mario Kart 8 featured a Mercedes-Benz GLA, alongside two other classic Mercedes-Benz vehicles, as a playable in-game vehicle, added as part of a post-launch downloadable game update on August 27, 2014.
- "Mercedes-Benz to launch the GLA-Class on 30 September". New Car Launches In India (Sandeep Malik). 9 September 2014. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- "Mercedes GLA specs and release date". Evo. 18 September 2013. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- Ewing, Steven (11 November 2014). "Mercedes renames utility vehicles, repositions Maybach as sub-brand". Autoblog.com. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "Mercedes-Benz expands brand world and introduces new nomenclature: Mercedes-Maybach for the ultimate in exclusivity and individuality". Daimler AG. 11 November 2014. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "Spied! Upcoming Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class Front-Drive Compact Crossover". Motor Trend. Retrieved 2012-10-12.
- "Mercedes GLA review". Auto Express. 5 June 2014. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- Bond, Paul (18 April 2013). "Mercedes Concept GLA". Auto Express. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- Mercedes-Benz GLA Concept gets mobbed in China
- Mercedes-Benz Concept GLA45 AMG tip-toes around production status
- Five Mercedes-Benz world premieres at the 2013 IAA: Benchmark for automotive passion
- 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class hits the matte
- 2015 Mercedes GLA-Class officially bound for Frankfurt
- Design and equipment: Sensual purity plus elements exclusive to AMG
- "Product offensive continues: Mercedes-Benz GLA: Start of Production at the Mercedes-Benz Rastatt Plant". Mercedes-Benz. 4 December 2013. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- European automakers gear up for Brazilian production
- Mario Bros. enlisted to sell Mercedes GLA in Japan with bizarre results
- Pitcher, Jenna (August 6, 2014). "Mario Kart 8 Mercedes Car DLC Hits This Month With Update". IGN. Retrieved August 6, 2014.