The museum building.
|Website||Mercedes-Benz Museum (English)|
The Mercedes-Benz Museum is an automobile museum in Stuttgart, Germany. It covers the history of the Mercedes-Benz brand and the brands associated with it. Stuttgart is home to the Mercedes-Benz brand and the international headquarters of Daimler AG.
The museum building
The current building, which stands directly outside the main gate of the Daimler factory in Stuttgart, was designed by UN Studio. It is based on a unique cloverleaf concept using three overlapping circles with the center removed to form a triangular atrium. The building was completed and opened on 19 May 2006. Previously, the museum was housed in a dedicated building within the factory complex and visitors had in recent decades been transported from the main gate by a secured shuttle.
The building's height and "double helix" interior were designed to maximise space, providing 16,500 square metres (178,000 sq ft) of exhibition space on a footprint of just 4,800 square metres (52,000 sq ft). The museum contains more than 160 vehicles, some dating back to the very earliest days of the motor engine. The vehicles are maintained by the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center of Fellbach.
The museum provides visitors with free audio tours in a variety of languages. In 2007 the museum was visited by 860,000 people.
Visitors are also offered the opportunity to take a tour of the nearby Untertürkheim engine factory. The factory produces many of the company's diesel engines.
- Automuseum Dr. Carl Benz
- List of automobile museums
- Mercedes-Benz World at Brooklands, UK
- Museum for Historical Maybach Vehicles
- Buy Me a Mercedes-Benz: The Book of the Museum. ACTAR. ISBN 978-84-96540-37-8.
- Mercedes-Benz Museum. Mercedes-Benz Museum GmbH.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mercedes-Benz museum.|
- Mercedes-Benz Museum – official site (English)
- Mercedes-Benz Museum at Automuseums
- Mercedes Benz Museum at FIA Heritage Museums
- Mercedes Benz Museum: A Review
- Technical profile of the building of the museum in Specifier Magazine
- The New York Times: Touring the Temples of German Automaking – includes a description of a visit to the museum