Mercy, Mercy, Mercy! Live at 'The Club'
|Mercy, Mercy, Mercy! Live at 'The Club'|
|Live album by Cannonball Adderley|
|Recorded||Capitol (Los Angeles) October 20, 1966|
|Cannonball Adderley chronology|
Mercy, Mercy, Mercy! Live at 'The Club' is a 1966 (see 1966 in music) album by jazz musician Julian "Cannonball" Adderley. Though the original liner notes state that it was recorded at the Club DeLisa in Chicago, it was actually recorded at Capitol's Hollywood studio with an invited audience and an open bar. The reason for this discrepancy, according to the liner notes in the CD reissue, is that Adderley and the new manager of Club DeLisa (which had been renamed "The Club", after operating for years in Chicago under its old name) were friends, and Adderley offered to give the club a bit of free publicity.
The title track from this album became a surprise hit, reaching #11 on the Billboard charts. On this album, Joe Zawinul played a Wurlitzer electric piano; however, subsequent live performances saw him taking up the new and mellower-sounding Fender Rhodes instrument.
The track "Hippodelphia" is sometimes mis-spelt "Hipadelphia" on other recordings. The track listing for the album uses "Hippodelphia", while the liner notes, written by E. Rodney Jones, for the same album refer to "Hipadelphia".
The Allmusic review by Steve Huey awarded the album 5 stars and states "Adderley's irrepressible exuberance was a major part of his popularity, and no document captures that quality as well -- or with such tremendous musical rewards -- as Mercy, Mercy, Mercy". The Penguin Guide to Jazz awarded the album 3 stars stating "Mercery, Mercy, Mercy is a hard swinging live album with one of Cannon's hottest outings on "Sticks"".
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz|||
- "Fun" (Nat Adderley) – 8:26
- "Games" (N. Adderley) – 7:19
- "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" (Joe Zawinul) – 5:10
- "Sticks" (Cannonball Adderley) – 3:54
- "Hippodelphia" (Zawinul) – 5:49
- "Sack O' Woe" (C. Adderley) – 10:29
- Cannonball Adderley - Alto saxophone, leader
- Nat Adderley - Cornet
- Joe Zawinul - Piano, Wurlitzer electric piano
- Victor Gaskin - Bass
- Roy McCurdy - Drums
- Liner notes by Michael Cuscuna for Money in the Pocket at Cannonball Adderley official web site
- Sheridan, Chris (2000) Dis Here: A Bio-Discography of Julian "Cannonball" Adderley, p. 168. Greenwood Publishing Group At Google Books. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- Mercy, Mercy, Mercy! Live at 'The Club' The Cannonball Adderley Rendez-Vous. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- Campbell, A. Allmusic Review accessed 28 October 2009
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2006) . The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (8th ed.). London: Penguin. p. 10. ISBN 978-0-141-02327-4.
- Sheridan, Chris (2000) Dis Here: A Bio-Discography of Julian "Cannonball" Adderley, p. 173. Greenwood Publishing Group At Google Books. Retrieved 29 June 2013.