Merger integration, post-merger integration, or PMI refers to the aspect of an organizational merger that involves combining the original socio-technical systems of the merging organizations into one such newly combined system.
The process of combining two or more organizations into a single organization involves several organizational systems, such as people, resources, tasks and the supporting information technology. The process of combining these systems is known as 'integration'. Integration Planning is one of the most challenging areas to address pre-close during a merger or acquisition.
Integration fits within an organizational life-cycle or specific business mergers & acquisitions cycle where businesses buy, integrate then dispose of other businesses:
- Definition of vision & strategy
- Selection of growth method: organic vs inorganic
- Target identification
- Pre-deal evaluation & due diligence
- Negotiation & deal completion
- Post-merger integration
- Acquisition Integration
- Ongoing improvement
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Business acquisition
- Program management
- Project management
- Change management
- Corporate finance
- Management due diligence
- Anthony F., Buono; Bowditch, James L. (1989). The human side of mergers and acquisitions: Managing collisions between people, cultures, and organizations. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers. ISBN 1-55542-135-0.
- M&A Transaction Survey of 50 executive M&A respondents (2013); ModalMinds Inc.; http://modalminds.com/modality/ma-transaction-survey-results/
- PRITCHETT provides free post merger integration articles, best practices, and excerpts from merger integration books. http://www.MergerIntegration.com/
- BNET provides a short video featuring the Top 5 Mistakes to Avoid, presented by Steven Ramirez, M&A Integration Consultant at Beyond the Arc. http://www.bnet.com/2422-13722_23-186403.html
- Danny A.Davis provides free post merger integration articles. http://ddavisconsulting.com/publications/
- Merger integration website http://www.mergerintegration.eu/