Bosque County Courthouse
Location of Meridian, Texas
|• Total||2.0 sq mi (5.1 km2)|
|• Land||2.0 sq mi (5.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||761 ft (232 m)|
|• Density||760/sq mi (290/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1341379|
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Meridian has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,491 people, 515 households, and 358 families residing in the city. The population density was 689.3 people per square mile (266.5/km²). There were 600 housing units at an average density of 277.4/sq mi (107.3/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 83.43% White, 5.37% African American, 0.27% Native American, 0.07% Asian, 8.18% from other races, and 2.68% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 23.00% of the population.
There were 515 households out of which 36.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.0% were married couples living together, 13.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.3% were non-families. 28.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.66 and the average family size was 3.27.
In the city the population was spread out with 28.7% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 26.3% from 25 to 44, 17.4% from 45 to 64, and 19.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 87.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.9 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $32,750, and the median income for a family was $40,625. Males had a median income of $30,179 versus $20,227 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,258. About 10.8% of families and 14.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.5% of those under age 18 and 27.4% of those age 65 or over.
- Earle Bradford Mayfield, U.S. senator from Texas from 1923 to 1929, practiced law in Meridian early in his career.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Meridian city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved October 30, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Meridian city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved October 30, 2012.
- Climate Summary for Meridian, Texas