Location of Merijärvi in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Kaija Eskola|
|• Total||231.63 km2 (89.43 sq mi)|
|• Land||229.83 km2 (88.74 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.8 km2 (0.7 sq mi)|
|Area rank||292nd largest in Finland|
|• Rank||319th largest in Finland|
|• Density||5.03/km2 (13.0/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.6% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||22.5%|
|• 15 to 64||59.1%|
|• 65 or older||18.4%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||20%|
It is located in the province of Oulu and is part of the Northern Ostrobothnia region. The municipality has a population of 1,155 (30 September 2014) and covers an area of 231.63 square kilometres (89.43 sq mi) of which 1.8 km2 (0.69 sq mi) is water. The population density is 5.03 inhabitants per square kilometre (13.0/sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Famous people in Merijärvi
- Juhani Alaranta, an ex-member of parliament.
- Erkki Haukipuro, a late member of parliament, minister and governor.
- Alvar Saukko, an ex-member of parliament.
- Tuomas Myllylä, a cartoon artist.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 30.09.2014" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Merijärvi at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Merijärvi – Official website (Finnish)
|This Oulu Province location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|