Location of Merikarvia in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Pentti Ala-Luopa|
|• Total||1,246.24 km2 (481.18 sq mi)|
|• Land||446.04 km2 (172.22 sq mi)|
|• Water||800.2 km2 (309.0 sq mi)|
|Area rank||89th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||240th largest in Finland|
|• Density||7.24/km2 (18.8/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.1% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13.9%|
|• 15 to 64||59%|
|• 65 or older||27.1%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.5%|
The municipality has a population of 3,231 (30 November 2014) and it covers an area of 1,246.24 square kilometres (481.18 sq mi), of which 800.2 km2 (309.0 sq mi) is water. The population density is 7.24 inhabitants per square kilometre (18.8/sq mi).
The area has been inhabited since as early as 1800 BC. There are grave sites from the Bronze and Iron Ages within the municipality. Most of the cairns are located in Tuorila village located east of the municipal center.
The birth of the earliest villages in Merikarvia - Kasala, Riispyy, Ala- and Yli-Kylä, and Köörtilä - is dated to between the 13th and 14th centuries. As a separate municipality, Merikarvia has existed since 1865.
Results of the Finnish parliamentary election, 2011 in Merikarvia:
- Centre Party 35.7%
- True Finns 23.7%
- Social Democratic Party 18.6%
- National Coalition Party 11.3%
- Left Alliance 6.1%
- Christian Democrats 2.6%
- Green League 1.7%
- Lankoski rapids
- The church of Merikarvia
- Oura Archipelago
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 30.11.2014" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Merikarvia at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Merikarvia – Official website