Main gate of Merkezefendi Cemetery
|Owned by||Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality|
|Website||İBB Mezarlıklar Md. website|
Many renowned intellectuals, writers and artists rest in this old cemetery covering an area of 27,800 m2 (299,000 sq ft).
The cemetery was established in the 16th century with the construction of the tomb of Merkez Efendi at this location. It was extended in the 1950s, and another cemetery, the Kozlu Cemetery was established 100 m (330 ft) far from this place.
Currently, burials are allowed only for the members of families with existing graves.
Listed in order of death year:
- Abdullah Cevdet (1869–1932) writer, poet, translator, radical free-thinker and an ideologist of the Young Turks
- Rıza Nur (1879–1942) politician, writer
- Adnan Adıvar (1882–1955) physician, politician, writer
- Halide Edip Adıvar (1884–1964) female novelist, feminist politician
- Sabahattin Eyüboğlu (1908–1973) translator, essayist, film producer
- Samiha Ayverdi (1905–1993) female novelist, Sufi
- Mualla Eyüboğlu (1919–2009) female architect, restorer
- Necmettin Erbakan (1926–2011) engineer, politician, former prime minister
- Toktamış Ateş (1944–2013) academician, writer
- "Zeytinburnu Mezarlıkları" (in Turkish). Zeytinburnu Belediyesi. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
- "İstanbul'daki tüm mezarlıklar bakıma alındı". Hurriyet (in Turkish). 2007-01-03. Retrieved 2011-03-01.
- "Merkezefendi Mezarlığı'nda Erbakan için hazırlıklara başlandı". Zaman (in Turkish). 2011-02-28. Retrieved 2011-03-01.
- "İzinsiz defin yapılamıyor". Zaman (in Turkish). 2001-03-12. Retrieved 2011-03-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Merkezefendi cemetery.|