Merritt Island Airport
|Merritt Island Airport|
|IATA: COI – ICAO: KCOI – FAA LID: COI|
|Owner||Titusville-Cocoa Airport Authority|
|Location||900 Airport Road
Merritt Island, Florida
|Elevation AMSL||7 ft / 2.1 m|
Merritt Island Airport (IATA: COI, ICAO: KCOI, FAA LID: COI) is a general aviation public airport under the administration of the Titusville-Cocoa Airport Authority. It located in Merritt Island, Brevard County, Florida, USA, northwest of Patrick Air Force Base.
In the early 1940s, the Brevard County Mosquito Control District constructed the Central Brevard Airport. The airfield included two sod landing strips:
(1) a north-south strip measuring approximately 1,800 feet in length; and, (2) a northwest southeast strip measuring approximately 3,000 feet in length.
An operations building and maintenance hangar were located on the south side of the airfield and the Mosquito Control District had a maintenance hangar on the north side of the airfield. The north-south landing strip was eventually abandoned, replaced by various facilities such as T-hangars that currently occupy this area. The Brevard County Mosquito Control District subsequently deeded the Central Brevard Airport property over to the Titusville-Cocoa Airport Authority in exchange for ten acres of land located within Space Coast Regional Airport. Central Brevard Airport was renamed Merritt Island Airport and became a public general aviation facility.
Merritt Island Airport covers 129 acres (52 ha) and has one runway:
- Runway 11/29: 3,601 x 75 ft. (1,098 x 23 m), Surface: asphalt
- Brevard County Sheriff's Office Aviation Unit
- Airline Career Academy offers advanced international flight training.
- Aerocomp, an airplane manufacturer is located at the Merritt Island Airport.
- Baer Air offers aircraft charters and has a base at the airport.
- Voyager Aviation International offers flight training.
- Sebastian Communication Inc. Avionics sales, installation & repairs.
- Florida Biplanes offers scenic rides over the surrounding area.
- Classic Aircraft Services, provides aviation maintenance services and annuals located at hangar 5.
- AeroDyne Detail, LLC provides aircraft detailing services based in hangar 5.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Merritt Island Airport.|
- Resources for this airport: