Mershepsesre Ini II
|Mershepsesre Ini II|
|Ana, Ani, Inai, Inj|
|Pharaoh of Egypt|
|Reign||unknown length, 13th dynasty|
|Predecessor||uncertain, Sewadjare Mentuhotep V (new arrangement) or Mer...re (Beckerath)|
|Successor||uncertain, Mersekhemre Neferhotep II (new arrangement) or Merkheperre (Beckerath)|
Mershepsesre Ini is attested only by a single inscription, giving his nomen and prenomen carved on the lower half of a statue which originated from the precinct of Amun-Ra in Karnak. The statue is now housed in the Museo del Sannio, in Benevento. Ini may also be attested on the Turin canon in column 8, row 16, which reads "Mer...re". If this identification is correct, Mershepsesre Ini II was the forty-sixth king of the dynasty. Kim Ryholt proposed instead that the "Mer...re" of the Turin canon refers to Mersekhemre Neferhotep II, whom he regards as a different ruler from Mersekhemre Ined. Nevertheless, Mershepsesre Ini must have reigned toward the end of the dynasty.
The exact chronological position of Mershepsesre Ini is uncertain, although he must have reigned at the end of the 13th dynasty. In his reconstruction of the Second Intermediate Period, Kim Ryholt does not give any position to Mershepsesre Ini due to a lack of evidence. In the new arrangement, Mershepesre Ini's predecessor is Sewadjare Mentuhotep V and his successor is Mersekhemre Neferhotep II. Jürgen von Beckerath rather give the "Mer...re" of the Turin canon as the predecessor of Mershepsesre Ini and his successor as Merkheperre.
- Darell D. Baker: The Encyclopedia of the Pharaohs: Volume I - Predynastic to the Twentieth Dynasty 3300 - 1069 BC, Stacey International, ISBN 978-1-905299-37-9, 2008, p. 139
- K.S.B. Ryholt: The Political Situation in Egypt during the Second Intermediate Period c. 1800-1550 B.C., Carsten Niebuhr Institute Publications 20. Copenhagen, 1997
- On Digital Egypt for Universities here
- Jürgen von Beckerath: Untersuchungen zur politischen Geschichte der Zweiten Zwischenzeit in Ägypten, Glückstadt, 1964
- Jürgen von Beckerath: Chronologie des pharaonischen Ägyptens, Münchner Ägyptologische Studien 46, Mainz am Rhein, 1997
|Pharaoh of Egypt
Mersekhemre Neferhotep II