Mesa Community College
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014)|
|Mesa Community College|
|President||Shouan Pan, Ph.D.|
|340 Residential, 820 Adjunct|
|Location||Mesa, Arizona, United States|
|Campus||Dobson and Southern Red Mountain|
|Colors||Royal Blue & Red|
Mesa Community College (MCC) in Mesa, Arizona, is the largest of the 10 community colleges in the Maricopa County Community College District, which is the largest community college district in the United States in terms of enrollment.
MCC began in 1963 as a branch of Phoenix College and was granted independent status in 1965.
The college has two comprehensive campuses and additional locations to serve students.
- Southern and Dobson, in southwest Mesa, Arizona (full-service)
- Red Mountain, in northeast Mesa (full-service)
- Williams Gateway, at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport
- Mesa Downtown Center
The Arizona Gakuen School (アリゾナ学園 Arizona Gakuen), a weekend supplementary Japanese school, holds its classes at the Mesa Community College Southern and Dobson campus. The school office is in Tempe.
Organization and administration
March 2008, Shouan Pan Ph.D. was selected as the sixth president of Mesa Community College. He followed interim presidents Bernie Ronan, Wayne Giles and Patricia Cárdenas-Adame after Chancellor Rufus Glasper asked MCC President Larry Christiansen in February 2007 to resign in response to a criminal investigation by the Maricopa County Attorney's Office.
MCC offers more than 200 degree, transfer, career and certificate programs. Areas of study include Agribusiness, Business, Bio Technology, Computer Science, Dental Hygiene, Electronics, Engineering, Fire Science, Mortuary Science, Nursing, Urban Horticulture and more. MCC is one of the largest transfer providers to ASU while many programs prepare students for immediate entry to the job market. Traditional, online and hybrid courses provide flexibility for students. MCC also offers yoga classes for further flexibility, and advanced yoga training for ultimate flexibility. Additionally, MCC Community Education offers hundreds of non-credit classes providing opportunities for lifelong learning in the arts, technology, fitness and personal development for all age groups.
The college athletics teams are nicknamed the Thunderbirds.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
- Mike Brown, was NBA Coach of the Year in 2009.
- Kyle Kingsbury, wrestler and football player; current mixed martial artist for the UFC
- "Application Information" (Archive). Arizona Gakuen School. Retrieved on May 13, 2014. "Arizona Gakuen School 4635 South Lakeshore Drive, Suite 101 Tempe, Arizona 85282" and "Classes will be held every Saturday beginning 4/3/04 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (afternoon classes 12:50 p.m. to 2:40 p.m.) at Mesa Community College (1833 W. Southern Avenue, Mesa Arizona 85202)"
- "Kyle Kingsbury MMA Bio". Retrieved 2014.