Meseret Hailu at the finish of her winning race at the 2012 Amsterdam Marathon
|IAAF World Half Marathon Championships|
|2012 Kavarna||Half marathon|
Meseret Hailu Debele (born 12 September 1990) is an Ethiopian long-distance runner who competes in half marathons and marathons. She was the gold medallist at the 2012 IAAF World Half Marathon Championships and won the Amsterdam Marathon that same year. Her personal bests are 2:21:09 hours for the marathon and 66:56 minutes for the half marathon.
Meseret began competing in international road races as a teenager, beginning in 2009 with a win at the Dez Milhas Garoto and a runner-up finish at the Río de Janeiro Half Marathon in Brazil. She began to focus on the marathon thereafter, running three races over the distance in 2010. She ran 2:45:10 on her debut in Pyongyang, came fourth at the Kuala Lumpur Marathon, then made a big improvement at the La Rochelle Marathon by finishing second with a time of 2:30:42 hours.
She came ninth at the 2011 Mumbai Marathon, was runner-up by seven second at the Belgrade Marathon, and came fifth at the Reims Marathon. She was also third at that year's Route du Vin Half Marathon.
The 2012 season marked a significant career breakthrough for Meseret. She won her first major race at the Egmond Half Marathon with a personal best of 71:18 minutes, beating former half marathon world champion Florence Kiplagat. A third place performance at the Prague Marathon saw her knock three minutes off her best with a time of 2:27:15 hours. Her strong performance in Egmond earned her a place on the Ethiopian team for the 2012 IAAF World Half Marathon Championships. In her first race for her country she exceeded expectations by running a personal best of 68:55 minutes and pipped her teammate Feyse Tadese to the finish to take the gold medal. Later that month she entered the Amsterdam Marathon and surged away in the final stages to gain her first win over the distance, breaking the course record with her time of 2:21:09 hours.
- Meseret Hailu. Tilastopaja. Retrieved on 2013-02-10.
- Krishnan, Ram. Murali (2011-01-16). Assefa and Yal take down course records in Mumbai. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-02-10.
- Butcher, Pat (2011-04-23). Fighting strong winds, Tsege and Waithaka take Belgrade Marathon victories. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-02-10.
- van Hemert, Wim (2012-01-09). In debut, Wolde sets course record at Egmond Half Marathon. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-02-10.
- Edwards, Andy (2012-05-13). Kiprop dashes Cheromei\u2019s hopes while Chimsa lives up to expectations in Prague. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-02-10.
- Ramsak, Bob (2012-10-06). Hailu surprises in Kavarna - Women's race Report - World Half Marathon Championships. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-02-10.
- van Hemert, Wim (2012-10-21). Chebet and Hailu break course records in Amsterdam - REPORT. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-02-10.
- Kabuu and Kipsang triumph in high-quality races at Ras al-Khaimah Half. IAAF (2013-02-15). Retrieved on 2013-03-02.