Arshoq Castle, a.k.a. Kohneh Qaleh ("old castle") in Meshgin Shahr. Mount Sabalan is in the background
|• Total||18 km2 (7 sq mi)|
|• Density||4,722/km2 (12,230/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IRST (UTC+3:30)|
|• Summer (DST)||IRDT (UTC+4:30)|
|Meshginshahr at GEOnet Names Server|
Meshgin Shahr (Persian: مشگين شهر, also Romanized as Meshgīn Shahr; also known as Meshkīn Shahr or simply Mishgin; formerly Khiav (Persian: خياو), also Romanized as Kheyāv, Khīāv, Khiov, Khīyāv, and Khiyov) is a city in and the capital of Meshgin Shahr County, in Ardabil Province, Iran. At the 2006 census, its population was 63,655, in 14,940 families.
The city is 839 kilometres (521 mi) from Tehran. Being near the high Savalan Mountains it enjoys a moderate mountainous climate. Formerly, it was known as "Khiav". The Savalan summit can be seen in the south of the city with an eye catching scenery. The antiquity of the city dates back to the early centuries of Islam but in the Safavid age it was thriving even more.
One of the most ancient city in Iran, is Meshkin Shahr. It is located in the north-west of Iran in Azerbaijan and its distance to Tehran is 839 kilometers. It is the nearest city to the Sabalan high mountain. The weather of this city and the district of Meshkin Shahr is moderate mountainous. It was calling: “Khiav”,”Orami”,”Varavi” in the past. The most important places for touring in the district of Meshkin Shahr are as following : - Sahar Yeri historical area - Hot water springs of Moil, Eelando and Qaynarja located in the suburb of the city. - Qara Soo River Sides. - Water spring of Qotur Suie located 42 kilometers to Meshkin shahr. - Old Castle of Meshkin Shahr. - Qahqaheh castle located 80 kilometers to Meshkin Shahr. - Deev castle located in kavij. - Petrograph of Shapour Sasani in Meshkin Shahr. - Old cemetery in Oonar. - Tomb of Sheykh Haydar in Meshkin Shahr. - Imamzadeh Seyyed Soleyman.
Historical Monuments :
- Old castle of Meshkin Shahr. - ancient site of Shahar Yeri located near the village of Pirazmian, 32 Kilometers from Meshkinshahr - Qahqaheh castle located 80 kilometers to Meshkin Shahr . - Deev castle located in kavij. - Petrograph of Shapour sasani in Meshkin Shahr. - Old cemetery in Oonar. - Tomb of Sheykh Haydar in Meshkin Shahr. - Imamzadeh Seyyed Soleyman. - Arshaq castle located 60 kilometers to Meshkin Shahr. - Qishlaq Zaakhor castle located 50 kilometers to Meshkin Shahr.
Hot Mineral Waters (Springs) : Moil, Qaynarja, Ilando, Shabil, Qotur suyu
Promenades : Forest Park, “Shirvan Deresi”, “Qara su”, museum, “Hooshang Meydani”, The foot of “Savalan” mountain
Handicrafts : Carpet, Short-napped coarse carpet, Varnish (varni), Coarse loosely-woven (woolen cloth), Sackcloth
Souvenirs : “Savalan” Honey, Dried fruits, Domestic productions, Apple, Grape
- Meshginshahr can be found at GEOnet Names Server, at this link, by opening the Advanced Search box, entering "-3074756" in the "Unique Feature Id" form, and clicking on "Search Database".
- "Census of the Islamic Republic of Iran, 1385 (2006)". Islamic Republic of Iran. Archived from the original (EXCEL) on 2011-11-11.
- MeshkinShahr Photo Gallery
- Shahrdari Meshkinshahr
- Dade Pardazi Sabze Meshkin