Message to My Girl
|"Message to My Girl"|
|Single by Split Enz|
|from the album Conflicting Emotions|
|B-side||"Kia Kaha (Ever Be Strong)"|
|Split Enz singles chronology|
"Message to My Girl" is a 1982 song by New Zealand art rock group Split Enz from their second last studio album Conflicting Emotions. It was written by Neil Finn and released as a single in 1984, peaking at #6 in Australia, #28 in New Zealand and #13 in the Netherlands, where it was Split Enz' biggest hit.
The song was performed by Neil Finn both originally, and in 1995 when Split Enz member Eddie Rayner collaborated with the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra for the project ENZSO, "Message to My Girl" was included and performed by Finn again. The re-recording was converted into more of a ballad version than the original.
During the 2006 Split Enz tour, Neil dedicated the song to his wife Sharon.
Released as 7" vinyl record in Australia and France.
- "Message to My Girl" - 4:01
- "Kia Kaha (Ever Be Strong)" - 3:35
- Neil Finn - vocals, piano, guitar
- Noel Crombie - vocals, percussion
- Nigel Griggs - vocals, bass
- Eddie Rayner - keyboards
- Ricky Fataar - drums
The song has been covered a number of times by other bands.
- In 1994, New Zealand R&B band Purest Form released a version that reached number 2 on the New Zealand charts (higher than that of the original) and won Best Song at the 1995 New Zealand Music Awards.
- In 2006, Australian singer Damien Leith covered the song during that year's Australian Idol.
- In 2008, the Australian jazz combo Gerard Masters Trio released an instrumental version on their album Pendulum.
- In 2010, Australian R&B singer Ron Kingston released a cover on his album Unplugged in Hong Kong.
- In 2010, Australian Jimmy Barnes covered the song on the compilation album performing songs written by Neil Finn and Tim Finn (The Finn Brothers), "He Will Have His Way" He Will Have His Way
- In November 2011, the Belgian band K's Choice released a cover of the song on their EP Little Echoes.