||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (December 2014)|
|Key people||Renat Fatkhullin CEO|
MetaTrader 4 Mobile
MetaTrader 5 Mobile
MetaQuotes Software Corp is a Russian software company that produces online trading platform MetaTrader 4 more commonly known as MT4. It specializing in the development of software for financial markets and is registered in Cyprus but founded and primarily based in Russia. The company's main focus is on Forex market trading software with its trading platform MetaTrader being used in over 450 brokerage companies and banks all over the world.
MetaQuotes Software Corporation was established in 2000 in Russia with the launch of FX Charts an online charting package used for margin FX trading. It became popular with traders as it could be run on a standard PC running Windows and did not require dedicated and expensive equipment.
- In 2001 it released its second major revision of application MetaQuotes which expanded the range of instruments that could be traded. In addition to currencies it also included support for the newly emerging CFDs (Contracts for difference). In addition, the application allowed users to write their own trading programs and strategies using its own MetaQuotes Language (MQL). This substantially increase the flexibility and utility of the client trading platform.
- In early 2002, it released its third revision MetaTrader. This again expanded the number of financial products with the addition of futures contracts, but more importantly it expanded programming language for trading strategies with MQL II. A number of users and third parties started to develop functions and libraries using the new version of the built in programming language and APIs.
- On July 1, 2005, it released MetaTrader 4 or MT4. This was a major overhaul of the platform. This version allowed the client trading platform to connect via an optional 'Data Center' which dramatically increase the server side stability, reduced server load and made it more resilient to security threats such as Denial-of-service attacks. The client software was also upgraded with a new version of the C-like language for trade strategies programming called MetaQuotes Language 4 (MQL 4). Later that year MetaQuotes also released its first version of the trading platform for mobile devices. The MT4 communication protocol was not backward compatible with previous versions and MetaQuotes Software refused to open the Client API meaning all of the previous client developed code no longer worked. The client API did however significantly extend the functionality of the programming language for trading strategies with MQL4 including support for a DLL interface. This version of the software became popular with a large number of users and became to main product for MetaQuotes Software for the next 5 years.
- In 2005 development of the TeamWox, a CRM system started for the company internal use. In 2009 the first public commercial version of TeamWox was released and went on to win some industry awards.
- On June 1, 2010 MetaQuotes Software officially released MetaTrader 5 or MT5 the next version of its trading platform. It expanded the number of products that could be traded from just forex to include stocks and commodities. MT5 also includes a new version of the programming language called MQL5. The new MT5 client trading terminal differs in a number of ways from MT4 and was not backward compatible. Uptake of the new version was slow and by April, 2011 MetaTrader had only 50 companies featuring the new version with over 400 companies remaining on MT4 mainly due to the lack of backward compatibility. Additionally, there has been an overall reluctance to adopt the new MQL5 programming language.
- On April, 2011 MetaQuotes launched a service it called MQL5 Cloud Network which allowed users to sell their idle time for distributed computing tasks.
- In 2011 MetaQuotes Software Corp. entered into a partnership with International Business Times to deliver integrated trading platform and newswire service.
- In 2012 MetaTrader 5 Trading Platform has Certified for the Singapore Mercantile Exchange. Metaquotes Software has been granted ISV status by the stock exchange.
Automated Trading Championship
Starting in 2006, the company started holding annual auto trading championships for software developers in MQL4 with the aim of demonstrating the possibilities of automated trading. This event see specially written robotic computer programs face off against each other by analyzing the prices of various financial instruments and trading these in real time. Under the terms of the championship all of the programs would run simultaneously for three months under identical conditions. The Automated Trading Championship has the official web site.
2011 saw the launch of the fifth annual Forex Trading Robots (Expert Advisors in MQL5) competition. The competition has been sponsored by MIG Bank, FXCM, Dow Jones & Company and other companies in previous years.
The company is registered in the offshore zone in Cyprus from where it does sales, marketing and technical support. Software development is primarily done in Russia and the company has representative offices in Turkey, China, Singapore, Australia and Brazil.
- "Best Soft 2010" (in Russian). PC Magazine/RE. 2010-11-21. Retrieved 2012-02-06.
- "Best Soft 2011" (in Russian). PC Magazine/RE. 2011-11-21. Retrieved 2012-02-06.
- "2012 Best CRM Software". Retrieved 2012-02-06.
- "Retail e-FX Provider: MT5 - Evolution or Revolution?". e-Forex Magazine. 2010-10-01. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- "Exclusive interview with Alexander Saidullin, Director of Trading Platform Development at MetaQuotes". FX Trader Magazine. 2010-07-01. Retrieved 2012-02-06.
- "Retail e-FX Client: MT5 widening the horizon for all Forex traders". e-Forex Magazine. 2010-04-01. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- "New trading platform MetaTrader 5". InstaForex. 2010-10-21. Retrieved 2012-02-06.
- "Interview with Metaquotes – Lenar Fatkhullin". Forex Magnates. 2011-04-29. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- "Statistics of the Distributed Cloud Network". Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- "IBTimes and MetaQuotes Partner to Deliver Integrated Trading Platform and Newswire Service". Forex Magnates. 2011-02-01. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- "SMX certifies MetaQuotes trading platform". Automated Trader. 2012-01-19. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- "Vendors with SMX". Singapore Mercantile Exchange. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- "Official website of the fifth annual Forex Trading Robots competition". Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- "Robots Trade Stocks as MetaQuotes’ Competition Begins". IB Times Staff Reporter. 2011-10-03. Retrieved 2012-02-07.