|Industry||Professional Power Tools|
Horst W. Garbrecht (CEO) Eric Oellerer (CFO)Markus Gehrt (COO) 
|Revenue||348 Mio. Euro (2013) |
|Employees||1.800 (2014) |
Metabo AG with its headquarters in Nürtingen, Germany is a manufacturer of quality power tools for professional users. The company was founded in the 1920s and got its name from a hand drill, the so called „Metallbohrdreher“. Today, Metabo offers a wide range of power tools.
In the year 1923, Albrecht Schnizler built the first hand drill in his parent’s bakery in Nürtingen. The machine was sold 50,000 times under the designation No. 18 and one year later the Schnizler GmbH was founded. Co-founder Julius Closs was the owner of a brewery called “Sonnenbrauerei” in Nürtingen. The company moved into the rooms of this brewery located in Church Street. Walter Rauch became an associate in 1927 and managed the national and international distribution of the machines. . In 1932, the company was renamed Metabowerke Closs, Rauch & Schnizler KG. The plant was spared serious damages during the war years, but in late autumn in the year 1945, a fire destroyed close to 75% of the manufacturing facilities. The reconstruction was completed in 1948.
The company’s rapid growth development made it necessary to move to new headquarters to the current location. Therefore, in 1953, the construction of a new plant in Nürtingen’s industrial zone Steinach was initiated. The relocation was completed in 1969 with the completion of a new administrative building.
In the course of restructuring measures, the Metabo group acquired Elektra Beckum in 1999, a company from Meppen in Northern Germany. In 2004, Metabo restructured the production and a plant in Shanghai was established. The full integration of Elektra Beckum took place in 2006. in 2010 the disposal of the plant in Meppen marked the end of the restructuring process of the production plants.
The Company today
Metabo focusses on the main target groups of Metal craftsmen and industry along with building trade and renovation. Today, Metabo is a medium-sized company, producing in its factories in Nürtingen and in Shanghai. Metabo counts with 23 distribution companies and has over 100 importers. 1.800 people work for Metabo world wide. In the year 2013, the company generated a sales volume of 348 million Euro.
Essential/significant products and innovations, according to their own statements, are:
- 1934 – Metabo electric rotary drill No. 750
- 1957 – Metabo Type 7608, world‘s first impact drill series is manufactured.
- 1966 – Angle grinder with S-automatic safety clutch
- 1969 – Impact drill with electronic speed regulation
- 1981 – 1000 Watt impact drill with constant speed
- 2000 – Angle grinder with the Metabo Marathon-Motor
- 2002 – Compact cordless screwdriver "Power Grip®"
- 2005 - Introduction of lithium-ion battery technology into the cordless tool range.
- 2010 – Full Range of Stainless steel processing tools
- 2011 – Cordless core drilling unit
- 2012 – Battery pack with 4.0 Ah and Ultra-M-Technologi.
- 2013 – Battery pack with 5.2 Ah., Flat-head Angle Grinder
- 2014 – Generation of Compact Angle Grinders from 900 - 1700 W 
A large number of the machines received the red dot design award.
- Change in strategy
- Metabo Shanghai
- History of the company Metabo: History, Abruf: 9. September 2011
- metabo.com: Building Trade. Battery pack 4.0 Ah
- metabo.com: Building Trade. Battery pack 5.2 Ah
- metabo.com: Metal. Flat-head Angle Grinder
- Compact Angle Grinders