|Founded||Cambridge, MA, USA (1999)|
|Headquarters||Reston, VA, USA|
|John R. Frank, former CTO|
MetaCarta is a private company that provides geographic information extraction and search engine products. The company was founded in 2001, and was acquired by Nokia in 2010. Nokia subsequently spun out the enterprise products division and the MetaCarta brand to Qbase. Their headquarters are in Reston, Virginia, with additional offices located in Springfield, Ohio.
MetaCarta was founded by John R. Frank while he was working on his Ph.D. in physics as a Hertz Fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In 1999, he received $500,000 from DARPA after developing a search technology which enables finding references to locations in documents and thus allowed documents to be retrieved from a search index when a geographical keyword is entered. MetaCarta also received funding from In-Q-Tel, a CIA-related organization, as well as over $18 million in private venture capital.
MetaCarta was acquired by Nokia on April 9, 2010. Nokia kept MetaCarta's core engineering team to build the search engine behind its here.com location search offering, and spun-out the enterprise products division and MetaCarta brand to Qbase Holdings, LLC in July, 2010.
Products and services
MetaCarta offers two main products. The first, Geographic Text Search (GTS), combines keyword and geographic searches. The second, GeoSearch News, indexes news stories by location so that users can search by locations or use a map to see any news stories that have occurred in a given area.
In addition to its commercial products, MetaCarta maintains MetaCarta Labs, a lab website, which offers a number of unofficial projects. Through Metacarta Labs, the company has funded development of several open source geographic software packages.
Projects funded by MetaCarta
- Erik Rauch – Company Co-Founder (May 15, 1974 – July 13, 2005)
- Schuyler Erle
- András Kornai – Chief Scientist
- Hertz Foundation
- Red Herring (magazine)
- "Nokia Acquires MetaCarta". MetaCarta. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- "Qbase Holdings, LLC announces acquisition of MetaCarta Inc". MetaCarta. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- "MetaCarta: About". MetaCarta. Retrieved 2011-01-10.
- "Where 2.0 Conference Speaker – John R. Frank". O'Reilly. Retrieved 2008-05-16.
- "MetaCarta lands second funding from CIA". Boston Business Journal. 2004-06-29. Retrieved 2008-05-16.
- "MetaCarta lands $10M in Series C VC". Boston Business Journal. 8 September 2005. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- Gonsalves, Antone. "Nokia Acquires MetaCarta". InformationWeek. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- "Nokia sells MetaCarta 3 months after acquisition". BusinessWeek. 12 July 2010. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- "MetaCarta Geographic Text Search (GTS) For Government Applications" (PDF). Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Mills, Elinor (24 August 2008). "MetaCarta: Mapping the news". CNET. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
|This United States corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|