Method Man & Redman
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (November 2011)|
|Method Man & Redman|
|Also known as||Mef & Red, Red & Mef|
|Origin||Staten Island, New York City
Newark, New Jersey
|Associated acts||Wu-Tang Clan, Def Squad, Tupac Shakur, Saukrates, DMX, Bun B, Busta Rhymes, LL Cool J, DJ Green Lantern Rockwilder|
Method Man & Redman, also referred to as Red & Mef, Mef & Red, Doc & Mef or Mr. Mef and Funk Doc, are an American hip hop duo, consisting of rap superstars Method Man (of Wu-Tang Clan) and Redman (of Def Squad).
The duo are signed to Def Jam both as solo artists and as a group. While they had been collaborating since 1994, it was not until 1999 that they released a studio album, Blackout!. The follow-up album, Blackout! 2 was released in 2009 and will be followed by Blackout! 3.
Red & Meth starred in a Fox sitcom titled Method & Red, but they later disowned the series due to lack of creative control. In 2001, they starred together in the movie How High. On March 27, 2007 Redman confirmed on BET's Rap City: Tha Bassment that the sequel to How High, How High 2, is being written.
The duo have known each other since they were kids before signing with Def Jam. While at Def Jam they reunited in 1994 on tour and met again in 1995 in the recording studio of Tupac Shakur's "Got My Mind Made Up" for his multi-platinum album All Eyez on Me. After this they had friendly battles freestyling with each other on Yo! MTV Raps which led to their collaboration single How High. In 1999 the two MCs appeared together on "Rap Phenomenon" from The Notorious B.I.G. posthumous album Born Again.
Method Man often gives a shout out to Redman on tracks that do not feature Redman; this usually comes in the form of "What up, Doc!" referring to Redman's alias "Funk Doctor Spock". In 2013 Method Man and Redman previewed a new track called "Lookin’ Fly Too". They continue to record together with both eyeing careers beyond DefJam.
- 2009: DJ Green Lantern presents: Lights Out
- 2001: How High (soundtrack)
Redman appearances on Method Man albums
- 1998: "Big Dogs" from Tical 2000: Judgement Day also on Blackout!
- 2004: "We Some Dogs" from Tical 0: The Prequel
- 2006: "Walk On" from 4:21... the Day After
Method Man appearances on Redman albums
- 1996: "Do What Ya Feel" from Muddy Waters
- 1998: "Well All Rite Cha" from Doc's da Name 2000 also on Blackout!
- 2001: "Enjoy da Ride" from Malpractice
- 2007: "Blow Treez" from Red Gone Wild
- 2010: "Lite 1 Witcha Boi" from Reggie
- 1994: Buddha Brotherz Freestyle
- 1994: Freestyle
- 1995: Double Deuces (St. Ide's Malt Liquor Commercial)
- 1995: "How High" from The Show Soundtrack
- 1995: "Tonight's Da Night Freestyle"
- 1995: Yo! MTV Raps (Last Episode Freestyle) (with Craig Mack, Large Pro, & Special Ed)
- 1996: Funk Flex Freestyle
- 1996: "Got My Mind Made Up" from 2Pac's All Eyez on Me
- 1997: "4,3,2,1 (Original)" (Feat. Canibus)
- 1997: "4,3,2,1 (Album Version)" (Feat. Canibus & DMX) from LL Cool J's Phenomenon
- 1997: "4,3,2,1 (E-Dub Remix)" (Feat. LL Cool J, Canibus, Master P, & DMX)
- 1999: "Rap Phenomenon" from The Notorious B.I.G.'s Born Again
- 1999: "Redman Freestyle" from Drunken Master's Drunken Style
- 1999: "Simon Says (Remix)" from Pharoahe Monch's Internal Affairs
- 2000: "2 Tears In A Bucket" with Sheek from Ruff Ryder's Ryde Or Die Vol. 2
- 2000: "Buck 50" from Ghostface Killah's Supreme Clientele
- 2000: "Fuhgidabowdit" from LL Cool J's G.O.A.T.
- 2000: "Get It Up (Remix)" with Sticky Fingaz & Xzibit
- 2000: "Left & Right" from D'Angelo's Voodoo
- 2000: "Rap City Freestyle" (Feat. Big Tigger)
- 2000: "Redbull" from Wu-Tang Clan's The W
- 2000: "Rollin' (Urban Assault Vehicle)" from Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish...
- 2000: "Symphony 2000" from the AND1 Vol. 2 Soundtrack
- 2001: "Dog In Heat" from Missy Elliott's album So Addictive
- 2001: "Red, Meth & B" from Cypress Hill's Stoned Raiders
- 2001: "Who You Be" from the Outsidaz's album Bricks
- 2002: "Get It Started" from Mystikal's album Tarantula
- 2002: "Good Times (I Get High) Remix" from Styles P's A Gangster and a Gentleman
- 2002: "Rock & Roll" from Naughty By Nature's IIcons
- 2003: Brownsugar Freestyle
- 2003: "I Will Not Lose" from the album Wu-Tang Corp
- 2003: "Lyrical .44" with Damian Marley
- 2003: "Noble Art" with IAM
- 2003: "Pack Em Up" from the album Wu-Tang Corp
- 2004: "Method & Red TV Show Theme Song"
- 2004: "Pixie Rap" from the TV show The Fairly Oddparents, special School's Out! The Musical as the rapping voices of Head Pixie and Sanderson respectively.
- 2004: "Wake Up Show Freestyle pt. 1" from Sway & King Tech's Wake Up Show Freestyles vol. 8
- 2004: "Wake Up Show Freestyle pt. 2" from Sway & King Tech's Wake Up Show Freestyles vol. 8
- 2006: "Funk Doc & Mef Tical" from the album "From Oakland to Shaolin"
- 2007: "Wait A Minute" from The Soundscannerz album entitled The Resume
- 2008: "Broken Language 2008"
- 2008: "Self Construction" (with KRS-One, Talib Kweli, Busta Rhymes, David Banner, Nelly, Styles P, The Game, & Ne-Yo)
- 2010: "Troublemakers" from Ghostface Killah's album Apollo Kids
- 2011: "Look" from Erick Sermon's mixtape Breathe of Fresh Air
- 2011: "Welcome To The Academy" from Terminal 3's Kurupt Presents The Academy
- 2013: "Rite (Remix)" with Loaded Lux