8 March 1974 |
Auckland, New Zealand
|Height||180 cm (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||90 kg (14 st 2 lb)|
|As of 15 December 2008|
Meti Noovao is a former rugby league player. His position of preference was at Lock, although he was something of a utility. Meti was also a competent goal scorer, being a left footed goal kicker.
While growing up in New Zealand Meti played rugby league for the Otahuhu Leopards in the local Auckland tournament. He joined the Auckland City Vulcans in 1994 in the new Lion Red Cup competition. With the entry of the Auckland Warriors into the Australian Rugby League competition he was signed up as a junior. In 1995 he was the captain of the Warriors Colts side, a team which played in the Lion Red Cup, replacing the Vulcans. The team lost the 1995 Grand Final however he managed to score a try, kick a goal and score a field goal for his team. Throughout his junior years he was an outside back, playing in the centres, at five eighth and at half back. He made the Junior Kiwis in 1993.
Again in 1996 he could not break into the Warriors first grade side, although he moved into the forward pack for the first time - playing at both hooker and lock forward. Meti again played in a losing grand final side, this time at Reserve Grade level.
In 1997 he made his first grade rugby league debut, in the new Super League competition. He was limited to only one game off the bench for the Warriors, although he was also involved in the 1997 World Club Championship.
In 1998 he found himself surplus to requirements in Auckland and so he moved to Australia, signing with the Adelaide Rams. His season was not a success and he played only one first grade game in the new National Rugby League competition. For this game he started at Five Eighth.
In 1995 Meti represented his country of heritage, playing for the Cook Island national side at the 1995 Emerging Nations tournament. He was to go on to be a regular fixture in the side, notably representing his nation at the 1996 and 1997 Super League World Nines and the 2000 Rugby League World Cup.
- Meti Noovao Otahuhu Rugby League
- Richard Becht. A New Breed Rising: The Warriors Winfield Cup Challenge. Auckland, HarperCollins, 1994. ISBN 1-86950-154-3. p.183
- Lion Red Rugby League Annual 1994, New Zealand Rugby Football League, 1994. p.115
- Meti Noovao rugbyleague.co.nz
- Stand-in hooker gets Endacott's full backing Sunday Star-Times, 22 June 1997
- 1998 Player Movements[dead link] Darryl's Rugby League
- 1999 Queensland Cup, Round Seven Queensland Rugby League, 24 April 1999
- Super League World Nines 1996 Squads The Vault
- Cook Islands BBC, 2000