|Traded as||FWB: MEO|
|Founded||1964; Metro AG formed in 1996|
|Area served||Europe, Asia, Africa|
|Key people||Olaf Koch (CEO and Chairman of the management board), Franz Haniel (Chairman of the supervisory board), Mark Frese (CFO)|
|Products||Cash & Carry/warehouse club, department store, electronics specialty, hypermarket/supercenter/superstore, other specialty|
|Revenue||€ 66.702 billion (2011)|
|Operating income||€ 2.113 billion (2011)|
|Profit||€ 741 million (2011)|
|Total assets||€ 33.98 billion (2011)|
|Total equity||€ 6.437 billion (2011)|
|Divisions||Metro Cash and Carry, Real, Media Markt & Saturn, Galeria Kaufhof|
Metro AG, otherwise known as Metro Group is a German global diversified retail and wholesale/cash and carry group based in Düsseldorf, Germany. It has the largest market share in its home market, and is one of the most globalised retail and wholesale corporations. It is the fifth-largest retailer in the world measured by revenues (after Wal-Mart, Carrefour, Tesco, and Kroger). It was established in 1964 by Otto Beisheim.
Sales divisions 
The company operates the following sales divisions:
- Metro and Makro Cash and Carry (Makro stores in the United Kingdom and elsewhere in Europe were acquired from SHV Holdings in 1998): This division accounts for nearly half of group sales as of 2004, and is by far the most internationalised division, with stores in almost every country in which the group operates.
- Real: A hypermarket operator. 265 stores in Germany and 34 elsewhere as of early 2005.
- Media Markt and Saturn: Media Markt and Saturn are consumer electronics stores in Germany and several other European countries.
- Galeria Kaufhof: A department store chain with locations in Germany and Belgium ("Inno").
As of 2007 it has added the former Wal-Mart Germany stores to the Real chain.
International presence 
As of 2012, the Metro Group operated stores in the following countries:
- Czech Republic
Note: Canada's Metro Inc. is not affiliated.
The Metro group is looking towards expansion in Asia and Europe. The Metro group has announced plans to expand its operations in Algeria, Pakistan, Sweden, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Egypt. The Metro Group may also be commissioned by the German government to expand operations into Afghanistan's economically stable north, the region patrolled by German ISAF forces.
Recent news 
See also 
- "Annual Report 2011" (PDF). Metro AG. Retrieved 20 Octobre 2011.
- Delotte, Switching Channels: Global Powers of Retailing 2012, January 2012, at p. G11.
- Metro seeks takeover of Arcandor BBC News. 10 June 2009
- Sources claim that German retailer Metro AG is unhappy with Redmond. arstechnica.com. 2 August 2012