Metro Cinema (Kolkata)
Metro Cinema Kolkata
|Type||Cinema hall, Heritage building|
|Location||Dharmatala. near Esplanade Metro Road|
|Address||5, jawaharlal Nehru Road|
|Town or city||Kolkata|
Metro Cinema or Metro Cinemas is a uniplex cinema hall and a heritage building located in Jawahar Lal Nehru Road (Esplanade), Kolkata, West Bengal, India. This theatre was owned by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.
This cinema hall was a project of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer to promote their films in Kolkata (then Calcutta). In 1934 Thomas Lamb, New York-based (Scottish born) architect drew up plans for this theatre and in 1935 it was inaugurated. The first film shown in this cinema was Way Out West. The Metro was the most modern of the cinemas in Calcutta till the Lighthouse Cinema was built in the early 1940s.
Turning into multiplex
As of June 2012[update]Heritage commission of Calcutta Municipal Corporation initiated a project to turn this standalone theatre into a multiplex. On 27 June 2012, The Telegraph (Calcutta) wrote about this– "This, for many, is yet another instance of the city’s total indifference to its cultural heritage about which it never fails to boast ".
- "Metro Cinema Hall". One India. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- Das, Soumitra (Wednesday , June 27, 2012). "Metro: MGM roar to plex revamp". Telegraph Calcutta (Calcutta, India). Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- "About Metro Cinema". Metro Cinema Kolkata. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- Jael Silliman Jewish Portraits, Indian Frames 2003 Page 111 "Western movies were very popular, and Jewish youngsters often attended the cinema in large groups. Flower and her cousins, the Joshuas, had a fixed weekly reservation for the entire year at the Metro cinema, which was not far from their.... Flower vividly recalls the Metro and its meaning for them: The Metro was the most modern of the cinemas till the Lighthouse was built in the early 1940s.."
- Jawed, Zeeshan (Monday , August 4, 2008). "Multiplex makeover for hall". Telegraph Calcutta (Calcutta, India). Retrieved 21 August 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Metro Cinema (Kolkata).|