Metronapoli

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Metronapoli
Former type Joint stock
Industry Transportation
Successor(s) Azienda Napoletana Mobilità s.p.a. (ANM)
Founded 26 July 2000
Defunct November 2013
Headquarters Naples, Italy
Services Public transport
(Metro system and funicular cable railway)
Employees 550
Parent Comune di Napoli

Metronapoli SpA was an Italian company responsible for the provision of public transport in the city of Naples, and its primary function was the operation and maintenance of the Naples Metro system. It was founded on 26 July 2000 and became operational on 1 February 2001. Metronapoli was a fully state-controlled joint-stock corporation. Its functions were absorbed by Azienda Napoletana Mobilità s.p.a. (ANM) in November 2013.

Metronapoli was a subsidiary company controlled by two organisations. The Comune di Napoli (Naples city council), had an 89% holding stake in the company shares, giving them a controlling ownership. The Azienda Napoletana Mobilità (ANM, or Naples Mobility Agency) held the remaining 11%.

Metronapoli operated the transport services and maintenance of Line 1 and Line 6 of the metro system, as well as the four funicular railways (Central Funicular, Chiaia Funicular, Mergellina Funicular and Montesanto Funicular).