Metropolitan areas in Romania
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
There are 10 metropolitan areas in Romania that have been constituted or are planned to be constituted in the near future.
The current legislation in Romania regulates the status of the 265 cities according to their population and regional importance:
- Rank 0 - Bucharest, the capital of Romania - municipality of "European" importance
- Rank I —municipality of national importance, with regional role and potential influence at European level
- Rank II —municipality of national, regional or county-level importance, or with equilibrium role in the network of cities
- Rank III — cities
Legislation also restricts the possibility to engage into a metropolitan area project to only those cities that are of rank 0 or I. Here is a list of the municipalities that as of 2007 can for metropolitan areas around them with approximate populations. Only three zones have been officially constituted by the end of 2007: Oradea, Iasi and Constanta. At least 9 others are at the level of project.
Constituted metropolitan zones
- Iaşi metropolitan area (since 8 April 2004) – Today it has a population of 400,347 and 832 km².
- Oradea metropolitan area (since 9 May 2005) – It had a population of 258,800 in 2008 being the largest urban area in the Crișana historical region, surpassing the city of Debrecen.
- Baia Mare metropolitan area (since 2006) – It includes 19 localities and has a population of 237,348 inhabitants.
- Constanţa metropolitan area (since December 2007) – It hosts 70% of the county population, 446,595 inhabitants, on an area totaling 33% of the administrative territory of Constanța.
- Braşov metropolitan area (since 2007) – Now has a population of 402,041. It includes the cities of Codlea, Săcele, Ghimbav and Râşnov.
- Cluj-Napoca metropolitan area (since 2008) – In 2011, the population of the metropolitan area was estimated at 392,562, with a total area of 1,626 km².
- Satu Mare metropolitan area (since 2013) – In 2013, the population of the metropolitan area was estimated at 243,600, with a total area of 1,988 km². It includes 3 cities and 22 communes.
Metropolitan zones in project
- Bucharest Metropolitan Area – Today it has a population of about 2.2 million and is only slightly larger than the city proper. There are plans to greatly enlarge the metropolitan area all the way to the Danube. A possible name would be Greater Bucharest. Currently, the project advances slowly.
- Cantemir metropolitan area – It is formed by the cities of Galaţi and Brăila and is estimated to have a population of about 450,000. From the establishment, it will be the second largest conurbation in Romania.
- Bacău metropolitan area – It includes the urban area of Bacău and other surrounding localities, with a total population of around 200,000.
- Ploieşti metropolitan area – It is made up of the urban area of Ploieşti and other surrounding localities. It has a population of more than 300,000.
Municipalities with more than 100,000 inhabitants
|10||Oradea||Bihor||196,367||20||Satu Mare||Satu Mare||102,441|
- (Romanian)[dead link]
- (Romanian) "Map of Romanian cities that can have metropolitan areas - in maroon"
- Zona Metropolitană, viitorul dezvoltării urbane: Informaţia de Mureş
- Zona Metropolitana Iasi
- INS INS 1.01.2009(Romanian) Archived 26 July 2009 at WebCite
- Zona Metropolitana Oradea
- Târgu Mureș metropolitan area official site
- Zona Metropolitana Constanta
- "Constanța Metropolitan Area, officially in December", Telegraf Online Constanța
- Microsoft Word - Strategie_zona_metropolitana.doc[dead link]
- Zona Metropolitana Urbana si Strategii de Dezvoltare a Zonei Metropolitane Cluj-Napoca
- "Zona Metropolitana Urbana" (in Romanian). CJ Cluj. Retrieved May 25, 2009.
- Eroare > EVZ.ro
- Proiect - Zona metropolitana Bucuresti
- (Romanian) Zona Metropolitana Bucuresti ar urma sa se intinda pana la Dunare
- NewsReport - Zona Metropolitana Bucuresti, un proiect fara strategii si planuri concrete, uitat la sertar
- Zona Metropolitană Timişoara | Primaria Timisoara | Secţiuni | Proiecte importante ale municipalitatii
- Util: Primaria Municipiului Timisoara lanseaza o dezbatere privind Zona Metropolitana
- Zona metropolitana Galati-Braila va avea un statut de functionare peste trei saptamani - Stiri din Real-Estate pe Wall-Street
- ADL BACAU - Totul despre Zona metropolitana Bacau
- Conducere pentru ZONA METROPOLITANĂ BACĂU « Ziarul Observator de Bacau
- Administratia locala - Zona metropolitana Ploiesti prinde contur
- "Population at 20 October 2011" (in Romanian). INSSE. 5 July 2013. Retrieved 5 July 2013.