Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham
|Borough of Rotherham|
Rotherham Council Offices (left) in central Rotherham
|Motto: Where everyone matters|
Rotherham shown within South Yorkshire
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Ceremonial county||South Yorkshire|
|• Type||Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council|
|• Leadership:||Leader & Cabinet|
|• MPs:||Kevin Barron,
|• Total||110.6 sq mi (286.5 km2)|
|Population (2011 est.)|
|• Rank||Ranked 49th|
|• Density||2,300/sq mi (900/km2)|
|Time zone||Greenwich Mean Time (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||British Summer Time (UTC+1)|
|ONS code||00CF (ONS)
The Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham is a metropolitan borough of South Yorkshire, England. It is named for its largest town, Rotherham, but also spans the outlying towns of Maltby, Rawmarsh, Swinton, Wath-upon-Dearne, as well as a suburban and rural element composed of hills, escarpments and broad valleys.
The district was formed on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, as a merger of the County Borough of Rotherham, with Maltby, Rawmarsh, Swinton and Wath-upon-Dearne urban districts along with Rotherham Rural District and Kiveton Park Rural District.
Although support decreased in 2008, Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council it is one of the safest Labour councils in the United Kingdom and by then their only safe council in Yorkshire. Neighbouring districts Barnsley and Wakefield were also held by Labour but only by a majority of one in each case.
Settlements in the borough of Rotherham include:
- Anston, Aston, Aughton
- Bramley, Brampton, Brinsworth, Brecks,Broom
- Canklow, Catcliffe, Clifton
- Gildingwells, Greasbrough
- Harthill, Hellaby, Herringthorpe
- Kimberworth, Kimberworth Park, Kiveton Park
- Laughton-en-le-Morthen, Letwell
- Maltby, Manvers, Masbrough, Morthen
- Ravenfield, Rawmarsh, Ryecroft
- Swallownest, Swinton
- Templeborough, Thorpe Hesley, Thorpe Salvin, Thrybergh, Thurcroft, Todwick, Treeton
- Wales, Wath-upon-Dearne, Wentworth, West Melton, Whiston, Wickersley, Woodsetts, Wellgate
The Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham was founded in 1974, and Labour have been in control of the council since the first election.
- "Resident Population Estimates by Ethnic Group (Percentages); Mid-2005 Population Estimates". National Statistics Online. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 28 March 2008.
- "Election Results 2008, Rotherham council". BBC News. 19 April 2008. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/elections/local_council/08/html/cc.stm http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/elections/local_council/08/html/db.stm
- BBC News - UKIP fostering decision 'indefensible' says Michael Gove. Bbc.co.uk (24 November 2012). Retrieved on 12 August 2013.
- Election 2010 | Rotherham Council, BBC News
- Election 2007 | Rotherham Council, BBC News