Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham
|Borough of Rotherham|
|Motto: Where everyone matters|
Rotherham shown within South Yorkshire
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Ceremonial county||South Yorkshire|
|• Type||Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council|
|• Leadership:||Leader & Cabinet|
|• MPs:||Kevin Barron,
|• Total||110.6 sq mi (286.5 km2)|
|Population (2011 est.)|
|• Rank||Ranked 49th|
|• Density||2,300/sq mi (900/km2)|
|Time zone||Greenwich Mean Time (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||British Summer Time (UTC+1)|
|ONS code||00CF (ONS)
The Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham is a metropolitan borough of South Yorkshire, England. It is named after its largest town, Rotherham, but also spans the outlying towns of Maltby, Rawmarsh, Swinton, Wath-upon-Dearne, and also Dinnington and Laughton as well as a suburban and rural element composed of hills, escarpments and broad valleys.
The district was formed on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, as a merger of the County Borough of Rotherham, with Maltby, Rawmarsh, Swinton and Wath-upon-Dearne urban districts along with Rotherham Rural District and Kiveton Park Rural District.
Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council it is one of the safest Labour councils in the United Kingdom - they hold 85% of seats - and by then their only safe council in Yorkshire. Neighbouring districts Barnsley and Wakefield were also held by Labour but only by a majority of one in each case.
Settlements in the borough of Rotherham include:
- Anston, Aston, Aughton
- Bramley, Brampton, Brinsworth, Brecks,Broom
- Canklow, Catcliffe, Clifton
- East Dene, East Herringthorpe
- Firbeck, Flanderwell
- Gildingwells, Greasbrough
- Harthill, Hellaby, Herringthorpe
- Kimberworth, Kimberworth Park, Kiveton Park
- Laughton-en-le-Morthen, Letwell
- Maltby, Manvers, Masbrough, Morthen
- Ravenfield, Rawmarsh, Ryecroft
- Swallownest, Swinton, Sunnyside
- Templeborough, Thorpe Hesley, Thorpe Salvin, Thrybergh, Thurcroft, Todwick, Treeton
- Wales, Wath-upon-Dearne, Wentworth, West Melton, Whiston, Wickersley, Woodsetts, Wellgate
The Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham was founded in 1974, and Labour have been in control of the council since the first election.
- "Resident Population Estimates by Ethnic Group (Percentages); Mid-2005 Population Estimates". National Statistics Online. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 28 March 2008.
- "Election Results 2008, Rotherham council". BBC News. 19 April 2008. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/elections/local_council/08/html/cc.stm http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/elections/local_council/08/html/db.stm
- Election 2014 | Rotherham Council, BBC News
- Election 2012 | Rotherham Council, BBC News
- Election 2011 | Rotherham Council, BBC News
- Election 2010 | Rotherham Council, BBC News
- Election 2007 | Rotherham Council, BBC News