Metropolitan School District of Martinsville
|Metropolitan School District of Martinsville|
|Type and location|
|Location||460 South Main St.
|Website||MSD of Martinsville|
The Metropolitan School District of Martinsville is a school district in Morgan County, Indiana, United States. It consists of one community school, one high school, two middle schools, and eight elementary schools.
List of schools
- Brooklyn Elementary
- Centerton Elementary
- Central Elementary
- Charles L. Smith Elementary
- Green Township Elementary
- Poston Road Elementary
- Paragon Elementary
- South Elementary
The following middle schools serve grades K-8:
- Martinsville West Middle School
- Martinsville East Middle School
- Hammons Off-Campus School
On average, M.S.D. general education students pass Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus at the rate of 83% in English/Language Arts, 87% in mathematics, and 95+% in daily average attendance.
On March 25, 2011, a shooting occurred at Martinsville West Middle School. Michael Phelps, a 15-year-old suspended student, shot 15-year-old Chance Jackson twice in the abdomen with a 9mm handgun at the entrance of the school. Jackson suffered from serious injuries and underwent surgery. Phelps was convicted of attempted murder in August 2011, and was sentenced to 30 years in prison and 5 years of probation. He will be eligible for parole in 2026.
- "Metropolitan School District of Martinsville". Retrieved 2013.
- "Metropolitan School District of Martinsville - Fast Facts". Retrieved 2013.
- Keating, Caitlin (March 25, 2011). "15-year-old student shoots classmate at school". Indiana Daily Student. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- Callahan, Rick (August 12, 2011). "Michael Phelps, Indiana Teen, Sentenced To 35 Years In Prison For School Shooting". Huffington Post. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- Tiernon, Anne Marie (January 31, 2013). "Jackson still lives in fear after Martinsville school shooting". WTHR. Retrieved August 1, 2013.