Metzingen in May 2008
|• Lord Mayor||Ulrich Fiedler|
|• Total||34.61 km2 (13.36 sq mi)|
|Elevation||350 m (1,150 ft)|
|• Density||610/km2 (1,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
The city is mentioned for the first time in documents from 1075. The cultivation of wine led to a spread of wealth around 1600.
Today, Metzingen is famous for its factory outlets, attracting people from all over the country and even Europe. Hugo Boss, which was founded in Metzingen and still has its headquarters there, started first with its factory outlet and was soon followed by other companies (e.g. Burberry, Reebok, JOOP!, Strenesse, Escada, Bally, Puma, Adidas, Tommy Hilfiger, etc.) who offer a range of their clothing at reduced prices. Today there are over 80 so-called "outlet-stores".
The town council has 26 seats, of which the CDU has 7. Since the 8th February 2009, Ulrich Fiedler (neutral) is the mayor of Metzingen with 93% of all votes in the second voting.
Metzingen is twinned with:
- [Statistisches Bundesamt – Gemeinden in Deutschland mit Bevölkerung am 31.12.2012 (XLS-Datei; 4,0 MB) (Einwohnerzahlen auf Grundlage des Zensus 2011) "Gemeinden in Deutschland mit Bevölkerung am 31.12.2012"]. Statistisches Bundesamt (in German). 12 November 2013.
- Köster, Roman (2011). Hugo Boss, 1924-1945. A Clothing Factory During the Weimar Republic and Third Reich (abridged version) (PDF) (abridged ed.). Hugo Boss, AG. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "Outlet und Fabrikverkauf Alphabet Metzingen" (in German). Retrieved 2011-10-03.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Metzingen.|
- Metzingen Homepage
- Information portal about factory outlet, leisure and gastronomy
- Information portal and list of shops in Outletcity Metzingen
- Information about Metzingen Factory Outlet Stores
- Information portal about factory outlet center (foc)
- Official marketing portal from the Outletcity-Metzingen
- Information about Metzingen Factory Outlet Center